How to remove bones from herring? Cutting salted herring for salad making and serving.
Despite the fact that the stores sell ready-made fillets and preserves, many housewives prefer to clean the herring on their own. This is because assessing the freshness of a whole fish is much easier. Herring is sold by weight from barrels and cans and individually vacuum packed. Fresh fish should have firm, dark red gills and clean skin without damage. There should be no plaque on it. The presence of "rust" on herring indicates its low quality or unsuitable storage conditions. Herring is a perishable product, therefore, as soon as it gets to your kitchen, it must be gutted by removing all the insides.
How to properly clean herring from bones on fillets
Quality fillets can be obtained at home. To do this, you need a handy cutting board, a well-sharpened fine-bladed knife, and a pack of napkins or paper towels. Every experienced housewife knows how to properly clean herring from bones.
- Wrap the cutting board in plastic wrap. This will help protect the surface from odors and dirt. Instead of film, you can use paper towels or newspaper
- Spread paper towels on the countertop, which will be needed in order to remove films and blood from the abdomen.
- Make two straight cuts: a longitudinal cuts along the back and a transverse one at the head.
- Gently pull the edge of the skin from the head to the tail. Do not make any sudden movements, otherwise the skin will tear.
- Remove the fillets from the spine and rib bones. Fine and small bones can be removed with tweezers
Herring fillets can be stored for no more than two days. Since fish has a pronounced odor that other foods can quickly absorb in the refrigerator, it is recommended to store it in an airtight container. Metal containers are not suitable for herring; it is better to use plastic, glass or enameled dishes
Have you started a herring under a fur coat? Butchering the herring for salad
If the herring was bought for a salad, you can peel it in another way. In this case, the ridge is first removed, and then the skin. After you prepare your work surface and sharpen your knife, rinse the fish in cold running water. Then dry it thoroughly using paper towels. How to cut herring for a fur coat? Cut off the tail, fins and head first. Make a neat cut in the abdomen and remove the insides. If after this there are a lot of giblets and films, rinse the herring again.
Important! Remember to dry the herring after rinsing it in cold water.
Gutted fish must be wrapped in plastic wrap and slightly beaten off. Do not hit the work surface with the fish, use a wooden hammer or rolling pin. This will help separate all bones from the fish, including the smallest ones. Next, putting the fish belly down, press on it so that it opens like a book. Flip over and pull out the ridge. Now divide the carcass into two separate fillets and peel them off with your hands. Remove small bones with tweezers.
For those who need it faster! We cut the herring in one motion
If you are saving time, you need to cut the herring in one motion. Prepare the workpiece first. Cut off the fins and remove the insides. Do not forget to dry the abdomen and get rid of intestinal films. If this is your first time cutting fish this way, do it over the table. If it fails, the fish will not fall to the floor.
- For the trick to work, you need to make a cut of about one centimeter on the tail.
- Then take the herring and make a circular motion towards you so that the carcass makes a circle around its tail. Movements must be confident
- Break the herring into two halves with a sharp motion.
- You will have two abdomens and a ridge with a sirloin.
- Separate the fillets from the bones
For this to work, hold the fish's tail as tight as possible.
What to do with herring milk: can you eat them
Milk may remain during cleaning. Unlike caviar, many housewives throw them away because they don't know what to do with them. Others, having learned that this is the sperm of males, refuse to eat them. However, this product deserves attention as it has a lot of advantages. Herring milk can be fried in batter and added to a salad or used as a filling for a fishburger. Often they are put in a fur coat, in addition to fillets. There is no question in Finland if milk eats herrings. Here they are added to the ear along with caviar. Using a blender, you can make a pate from the remaining milk. It is enough to add a boiled egg, raw carrots and butter.
Ways to beautifully serve peeled herring on the table
Thinly sliced salted herring fillets can be a good snack. It is served with pickles, pickled mushrooms, olives and olives. Fillets are also used for canapes. Small pieces of herring and boiled potatoes with an onion ring between them are strung on a skewer. The set of products for this appetizer can be anything; for piquancy, you can add olive or pickled champignons. If you are in doubt and do not know how to serve herring on the table, make sandwiches with black bread, butter and herbs. The taste familiar from childhood can please guests and remind them of family feasts in the parental home. An alternative can be rolls, which are made with or without filling.
The presence of herring on the festive table is a must. It is served not only separately, but also as part of various salads, portioned snacks, sandwiches. That is why the question comes to the fore: "Who will peel the herring?" There are few who want to choose bones. Meanwhile, there is a way, having learned about which, you can get a fillet separated from the bones in a matter of minutes, and all this provided that you need to clean several fish at once.
Express method for obtaining fillets
First, we prepare the workplace. Even at this stage, time can be saved. Having previously wrapped the cutting board with cling film or placing it in a bag of a suitable size, after cutting the fish you will not have to wash it for a long time.
The first step is to get rid of the head and tail.
Carefully cut the abdomen.
We extract the insides. If necessary, blot the herring with a napkin or disposable towel and get rid of the film.
Having freed up enough space on the board, turn the carcass over and lay it flat.
Now just press with your palm so that the herring spreads out on the board.
We turn the carcass over and find the beginning of the ridge from the side of the tail.
Holding the herring with one hand, pull the ridge with the other. It is on it that all the bones remain as a result.
Now you can cut the fillet in portions or use it to prepare holiday dishes without the fear of bones accidentally falling into them.
More clearly about cutting herring in the video:
This method of cleaning can also be attributed to light and simple, it is good when it is planned to chop the herring:
Do you want to cook Herring under a Fur coat, herring snacks or salad, but do not know how to quickly remove the bones from the herring? Watch the recipe video and enjoy cooking your favorite dishes! With our Video recipes, the New Year 2020 and all the holidays will be hassle-free! Look short VIDEO RECIPE to make the cooking process simple and straightforward! SAVE so as not to lose! SUBSCRIBE to our YOUTUBE CHANNEL and to press BELL next to the SUBSCRIBE button to be FIRST to receive notifications about new Olesin's recipes !
Total cooking time
Active cooking time
We cut off the head of the herring, cut the belly, take out the caviar or milk and carefully clean it from the black film.
Cut off the tail.
And we cut off the edges of the abdomen so that the fillet turns out to be beautiful and even. As they say, it had a presentation.
Make a neat cut along the back and remove the dorsal fin.
Remove the skin from one side. Then on the other.
Cut off the fin from the side of the abdomen.
We run our finger along the ridge and carefully separate the fillet from the ridge.
We also separate the ridge from the other half of the fillet.
That's it, we removed the ridge with all the large bones.
And now, using ordinary tweezers, remove the remaining small bones, you can easily feel the bones by sliding your finger over the fillet. In the same way, remove the bones from the second half of the fillet.
That's it, we've got a clean fillet that can now be used for any dish! The whole process will take you a maximum of 10 minutes, or even less. And as a bonus, I will show you the simplest way of serving such a herring, even one immediately on the festive table, and if you just serve it like that for the family, it will be nice to eat. Cut the fillet into pieces.
Put in a herring pot and decorate with lemon, onion rings, sprinkle with lemon or vinegar, whichever you prefer, pour oil, a couple of lemon peel flowers, for mood, and a little freshly ground pepper. Done!
Thank you for LIKE! SAVE the recipe so you don't lose it! I am waiting for your impressions and photo reports in the comments!
Good appetite! Your OLESYA
Share the recipe with your friends!
If your guests are already on the doorstep, and the fish snacks are not ready yet, then it's time to find out how to quickly peel herring for sandwiches. The most interesting and fastest ways to cut fish for your attention.
Having prepared a container for waste, a sharp knife and a board, you can start cutting. For convenience, put on latex or plastic gloves on your hands. The fish is pre-rinsed under running water.
1 way "Classic"
With the knife at a 45 degree angle under the first fin, an incision is made under the gills and the head is removed.
Using scissors, cut off the edge of the abdomen. In order to make an incision in the abdominal cavity, it is better to use scissors rather than a knife. Then the edge of the cut will turn out to be even.
Using a knife, the entrails are removed from the fish. Milk and caviar are left on request. The tail fin is cut off with scissors.
The herring is turned with its back, a longitudinal cut is made. It should be shallow so that the skin is cut. The dorsal fin is also cut out.
Placing the carcass with its head towards you, pry the edge of the skin with a knife. They begin to lift the top so that a finger fits between the meat and skin.
Using the fingers, the skin is separated from the body, removing the whole cloth towards the tail. They do exactly the same with the second part.
To remove the ridge, fingers are inserted into the incision in the back. Passing along several times to separate the bone from the meat.
Starting to pull the fillet from the side of the head, remove one part from the ridge.
To remove the bone from the second fillet, pry the tail of the bone. After pulling it towards the head.
If after thinning small bones remain, they are removed with tweezers.
Method 2 "Massage for fish"
The carcass is removed from the head, cut along the abdomen and the insides taken out.
The fish is wrapped in a paper towel or large napkin to prevent splatter from splashing onto the walls during the next process. After that, it is beaten against the board three times on each side. This massage is necessary for the bones to move away from the pulp.
After removing the towel, the carcass is placed on the board with its back up. It is carried out along the back, pressing and pressing the fish to the board.
Turn the carcass belly up. Pry off the separated ridge in the region of the caudal fin, and take out
In this method, after removing the bones, the pulp is not divided into 2 fillets, as it is kept on the skin. Therefore, it is easy to remove it from two halves in one move. This is done with your fingers, as in the classic version.
The skin is separated with a knife in the area of the upper part. Putting your fingers under it, they pull to the tail. The finished fillet is checked for bones.
Method 3 "4 fillets"
To start cutting the herring in the third way, it is first removed from the head, viscera and skin. It is important that the tail fin stays in place. It is cut in the middle with a sharp knife.
Taking by the edges of the tail, the fish is thrown over it in a circle. Without releasing the edges from the hands, they pull the tail in opposite directions.
The fish is divided into two parts: abdominal and dorsal.
Continuing to pull slowly, three pieces are obtained: 2 milled abdomens and a ridge with pulp. The bottom of the fish can be removed, it is ready. And the upper part is removed from the ridge, getting 2 more fillets.
Milled herring can be quickly made into delicious fish slices, garnished with herbs, lemon and sprinkled with oil. Or prepare sandwiches for the arrival of guests.
Watch the video
Hello dear readers!
Recently I found out that many do not know how to peel herring, what can I say, it's okay, now I will show and tell you everything.
You can buy cut fillet, it is sold in different marinades, but I don't like that, although ... sometimes I buy it for a salad, when you need to cook a lot of different dishes on the festive table and there is no time to clean, but rarely.
I remember how in my childhood in the school cafeteria they served herring cut into pieces with bones and skin, it seemed to me that it was necessary, but we didn’t eat it, of course, unless the child would clean it, it’s even funny, now it would be the chefs served))
I bought herring in the Lenta hypermarket, very tasty, slightly salted.
Before peeling the herring, I cover the cutting board with cling film or a bag, cut off the head, tail, rip open the abdomen and remove the entrails.
I leave the caviar, my husband loves it or I make caviar oil with it.
I make two cuts along the ridge with a sharp knife and cut out the fin.
Then I pry on the skin from the side of the head and take it off, it comes off very easily.
From the side of the head, I lift the fillet with my fingers and it is easily separated from the ridge and long bones.
Using tweezers, I take out small bones, by the way, this is a very convenient way.
At this stage, I wrap all the waste in the film on which I cut the herring and throw it away, and then I cut the fish fillet on a clean cutting board.
When I cut herring fillets, put the knife blade slightly at an angle, such a cut looks very nice on a dish and is convenient to put on bread.
Here you can see the option of serving herring "SNACK IN RUSSIAN"
Friends, thanks for stopping by my channel Housewife with experience , if you liked it, like it, share the article in your social networks and subscribe, I never get bored))
Subscribe to YouTube channel Housewife with experience
ALL GOOD AND BE HEALTHY!
The classic methodThe quick method of northernersWith the help of a plastic bagCleaning in 2 minutesCleaning from the reverse: separating the fillet from the bonesPunching methodGeneral recommendations and life hacks
Herring is a healthy and tasty fish. It is rich in amino acids as well as essential omega-3 fatty acids for women's health, which help maintain balance in many body systems. This fish is also readily used in complex dishes, and if you need to prepare a quick and hearty lunch or dinner, there is nothing better than salted herring with mashed potatoes. You just need to know how to cut a herring from the bones into fillets.
- Take the carcass, carefully cut the ridge with a sharp knife at the base of the head.
- After that, pull your head towards you so that it easily separates from the body, and most of the insides stretched behind it.
- Use a sharp knife to rip open the belly, pull out the fish milk and a bag of caviar from it.
- With light movements with a knife blade, scrape off the black film and the remaining insides that did not come off along with the head. Cut off the tail and all the fins.
- After that, make a longitudinal incision, moving the knife along the ridge to cut through the skin and meat. Pour and gently remove the skin.
- Feel the ridge through the belly and separate it first from one half of the carcass, and then from the other.
Two even halves of the carcass will remain on the cutting board. They must be carefully inspected from the inside again for small bones and, if necessary, removed.
If you are thinking about how to clean the herring from the bones for a "fur coat", then it is best to use this method, as it allows you to get the most even pieces of fillet.
- Use a large knife or sharp kitchen scissors to cut off the fish's head and tail.
- Make a longitudinal incision along the ridge and also cut off the bottom of the abdomen.
- Pull out all the insides, remove the skin, while moving from the head towards the tail.
- Using the thumbs of both hands, they separated the meat from the skeleton, slowly and carefully moving along the ridge.
How to quickly remove the bones from a herring when time is very limited?
- Make a longitudinal incision along the abdomen and gut all the insides from the carcass, and do not forget to remove the black films from the inner walls of the abdominal cavity.
- After that, put the fish in a plastic bag, close it and beat off the carcasses with the wide side of a kitchen knife. Strong blows should not be done, but patting will not give the desired result, so the movements should be of moderate strength, but at the same time quite confident.
- Remove the herring from the bag, chop off the head and tail, and remove the fins.
After such manipulations, the ridge and small bones will be very easy to separate from the fillet.
Often in trying to clean herring We spend too much time, while many small bones still remain on meat. How to avoid this and really clean the fish in a matter of minutes, see in the following video:
In some cases, it is convenient not to shake the dice from meat, but to do the opposite.
- You must first turn out the fish, removing the inside, head and fins. Also from the carcass it is necessary to remove the skin. Tail is better to leave.
- Next, the herring is placed on a flat cutting surface, the meat is cut at the base of the tail and is slightly separated.
- Przhem one hand ridge with a tail to the working surface and start pulling the meat, gradually separating it from the bone.
- The same thing is repeated with the second half.
We tell how to remove the bones from the herring, if you do not have scissors and a knife.
- We remove the fish, removing the insides, fins and the skin, and then put it under the jet of flowing water.
- Take herring in your hand so that the thumb end up tops, and all the others inside.
- Squeezing the fingers, the squeezing movement separated one half of the fillet from the bones, and then the second.
This method is great for fresh fish, so it can come in handy fishermen who want to immediately try freshly dilated catch.
- If you work with frozen fish, first wait for her full defrost, leaving the carcasses at 12 o'clock in the refrigerator or putting it into cold water. If the fish will be frozen a little bit inside, nothing will happen.
- After cleansing a carcass from the internals, be sure to rinse it under running water. To get beautiful and smooth pieces, further manipulations need to be carried out on a clean cutting board.
- Delete the smallest bones helps metal tweezers or a needle, which is convenient to rise.
- To bones easily separated from meat, herring can be wrapped with a piece of foil or paper and knock on the table several times.
- Disassemble herring on the bone is best in latex gloves so that the caustic fish smell does not fit into the skin.