Onychomycosis is a disease in which a fungal infection affects the surface of the nail plate. There are 3 types of causative agents of the disease, which are most often detected in the analyzes: yeast-like fungi, molds, dermatophytes.
Why does the fungus appear?
The fungus itself cannot appear. The disease is always preceded by certain push factors, such as:
- Using household items with fungal spores ... If one family member has onychomycosis, and others use his towel, slippers or socks, the risk of infection is quite high.
- Visiting public places with a large flow of people ... Saunas, baths, swimming pools, solariums, showers, fitness clubs, beaches - all these locations can become a place of infection with onychomycosis.
- Constant elevated temperature and moisture in shoes ... Fungal infection often overtakes office workers and military personnel, who are forced to spend all day in shoes. Lack of air, tight space and uncomfortable shoe models provoke increased sweating, blood stasis and, as a result, onychomycosis.
- Lowered immunity ... If the immune defense is weakened from the disease, after taking antibiotics and other reasons, onychomycosis may appear.
- Human age ... In children, the fungus does not appear due to physiological characteristics - the infectious pathogen takes a certain time to gain a foothold and multiply. And the nails in children grow very quickly, so onychomycosis does not have time to develop. It often affects adults and almost always the elderly and the elderly. Their nail plates grow very slowly, and therefore it is especially difficult to remove the fungus on senile nails.
How to understand that the nails are affected by mycosis?
When the nail plate changes in any way, this indicates possible problems. The following conditions will act as signs of onychomycosis:
|What if you have a fungus ?! |
- cracks between the toes;
- yellowing of the nail plate;
- thickening of the skin;
- discharge of the nail without mechanical reasons;
- burning and itching;
- inflamed nail fold;
- thinning or thickening of the nail.
A healthy nail should be pink, shiny and smooth.
Fast and effective treatments for fungus at home
The fight against onychomycosis usually takes at least a month. The sooner you start treatment, the faster you will get rid of the disease. You can turn to traditional medicine, or use pharmaceutical preparations. But it is better to combine time-tested advice and effective medications - this will allow you to quickly forget about the fungus.
Preparing the nail plate for treatment
Often, the simple application of antifungal medications does not bring the desired result. This happens because medicinal substances cannot penetrate inside through the nail thickened due to the fungus.
Before starting treatment, the nail plate affected by onychomycosis should be removed. This can be done in several ways:
- Steam your feet in hot water ... It is important to keep the water temperature fairly high (up to 50 degrees) for about half an hour. To do this, you can pour dry mustard into the water and constantly add new portions of hot liquid. Next, you need to cut off the overgrown part of the steamed nail plate, and reduce the thickness of the nail itself with a file with low abrasiveness (100-150 grit).
- Buy Mycostop Cream Paste from the pharmacy ... This is a Russian remedy from the budget segment (250-300 rubles), but its action can replace surgical or laser nail removal. The paste contains urea, which softens the nail plate without pain and discomfort, after which it is cut off or removed with a scraper. The drug is applied to clean and dry nails affected by onychomycosis, and a patch is glued on top of it crosswise. It is important not to remove it for about 2 days. With an advanced stage of the fungus, several such procedures may be required.
- Use Nogtimycin cream ... It is inexpensive: about 150 rubles. The main component is urea or urea. On steamed, but towel-dried nails, apply Nogtimycin, seal with a plaster and do not remove for 3-4 days. Then again make a hot bath, remove the softened fragments.
It is pointless to be treated without removing the nail or its fragment affected by onychomycosis.
Under the influence of high temperature and water, the nail plate softens. It becomes easier to handle it and, if necessary, remove diseased fragments. Before any medical procedure, you should steam your legs well. This can be done in the following ways:
- Stir 4 tablespoons of iodized salt, 200 g of baking soda and a few drops of lavender essential oil in hot water. Lower your legs and keep until it cools. Then wash and dry with a clean towel.
- Grate a piece of tar soap on a fine grater. Add 3 tablespoons of the resulting "powder", a glass of baking soda to a bowl of hot water, steam your legs for 10-20 minutes. It is good to use such a bath as a preparation before the next treatment procedure.
When it is not possible to make a compress or apply ointment for a long time, the procedure for wiping a sore nail will help. Onychomycosis requires constant and complex treatment, so sometimes you can use folk recipes:
- Soak a cotton ball in apple cider vinegar, liberally lubricate sore nails. The fungus loves an alkaline environment, so its oxidation will inhibit the infection.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of calendula and lilac flowers, pour a glass of vodka, let it brew for at least a week. Apply to sore nails three times a day.
Wraps and compresses
Compresses have a good effect on the health of the nail, eliminate the infectious pathogen.
- Pour celandine oil on a cotton pad. Put on the infected nail, bandage slightly, put on socks on top and walk all day. After that, you can treat the plate with hydrogen peroxide or iodine.
- Grate a few cloves of garlic on a fine grater, add 1 teaspoon of any vegetable oil. Apply the resulting gruel to the diseased nail plates, make a bandage on top and put on socks. Leave it on for a few hours. If there is a burning sensation, remove the compress, wash your feet with tar soap.
Creams, pharmaceutical solutions
Antimycotic pharmaceuticals are effective against fungal infections. Often in the line of products from one manufacturer there are both liquid forms of products and various creams with the same active substance in the composition. The most popular drugs are based on naftifine:
- Exoderil - topical solution and cream. The price is 500-1500 rubles.
- Mikoderil - similar release forms. The price is 400-900 rubles.
- Mizol is a solution for external use. The price is about 350 rubles.
Tablets and capsules for oral administration
Treatment of a fungus is sometimes impossible without influencing it "from the inside". Taking antimycotics accelerates recovery. Medicines are popular based on:
- Terbinafina ... This substance has a detrimental effect on dermatophytes and is an active component of Lamisil, Terbinafin, Thermikon, Binafin, Exeter, Terbizil. Price - 400-1000 rubles.
- Itraconazole ... A medicine with such a component destroys the membrane of fungi, it is effective for the treatment of advanced mycoses caused by mold, yeast-like fungi and dermatophytes. Contained in Canditral, Itrazol, Orunit, Irunin, Rumikose, Itraconazole. Price - 350-3500 rubles.
- Fluconazole ... This substance prevents fungi from multiplying and developing, destroying their membrane. Part of Mikomax, Mikosist, Fluconazole, Diflucan. Price - 900-2500 rubles.
How to treat advanced toenail fungus
If you start onychomycosis, folk remedies become ineffective. In this case, you will definitely need a consultation with a mycologist or at least a dermatologist. Most likely, he will prescribe the following procedures:
- Determination of the pathogen ... Usually a scraping is taken from the plate, less often - a fragment of the nail. These materials are sent for microscopic examination.
- Taking medications ... After determining the parasitic fungus, internal antimycotics and topical preparations are prescribed.
- Removal of the affected part of the nail or the entire plate ... If onychomycosis affects less than half of its area, a medical pedicure is prescribed. If the entire nail plate has become infected, it may need to be removed surgically.
Iodine treatment methods
The causative agent of onychomycosis feeds on keratin in the epidermis. The harmful effect of iodine for the fungus is that it sticks together this protein, and the infection dies. Repeated application of iodine to the affected area also practically cauterizes the parasitic pathogen. The drug has an antiseptic effect, which prevents the infection from developing again.
Iodine is a powerful medicine. It can only be applied to the affected nail fragments. Contact with healthy skin can cause inflammation and severe burning.
In the advanced stage of onychomycosis, iodine can help in the form of an additive in steaming baths. Pour the entire preparation from the bottle into hot water, lower your legs for 20-30 minutes. A pronounced antiseptic effect will be exerted not only on the nails, but also on the skin, where there may also be spores of the causative agent of the infection. After the procedure, you can treat your feet with hydrogen peroxide.
At the initial stage, you need to apply iodine to the nail plate with a cotton swab every few days. When after about a week the area under the affected area begins to burn, this will be a good result, indicating a successful treatment.
For a simultaneous antifungal and caring effect, you can add 3 drops of iodine to 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Heat this mixture in a water bath, apply on sore nails, and put on clean socks on top. Leave overnight, wash your feet with soap and water in the morning.
Iodine is one of the most budgetary pharmaceuticals with high efficiency. Its continuous use is possible throughout the month. In the absence of results, you should change the type of therapy or consult a doctor.
|The stories of our readers |
Onychomicosis is successfully treated with complex local and systemic therapy. Combining pharmacy preparations and folk remedies will lead the fungal infection on the period of 1 month.
The article is prepared by a specialist for informational purposes. We urge you not to engage in self-medication. When the first symptoms appear - contact your doctor.
Best remedy for nail fungus on legs
Few people know that with the help of vinegar you can solve a rather complicated medical problem of eliminating nail fungus. Due to the availability of table vinegar (9% solution of acid), and even acetic essence (70% acid solution), which can be bought in a business store or on the market, there are many ways to treat fungus on the legs using this product.
Of course, the aircraft of the vinegar should be carried out only if the disease has not switched to the launched shape, and it is desirable to combine it with specially developed drugs. Nevertheless, when there is an urgent need for the treatment of nail fungus, and there is no money for visiting the doctor, and there is no medication therapy, you can use vinegar on your own, the main thing is to adhere to the relevant security rules.
Features of the use of vinegar for the treatment of fungus
The main effect on the use of vinegar is the creation in the area of infection with a fungus of an acidic medium, which prevents the growth of gif and spread the dispute. Gradually, the fungus left without access to new sources of nutrients die, and the absence of much more enduring dispute prevents the possibility of recurrence of the disease.
At first glance, everything is very simple - how to destroy bacteria by an antiseptic. But in fact, the fungal turns out to be very survivors, since his body is not on the surface of the nail or skin, but goes into the thickness of the fabrics. In this regard, a positive result from oncomicosis therapy is to be expected only in the case of the strict regularity of the procedure that will not leave the time parasit on rehabilitation and penetration under the skin.
Before treating the nail fungus, make sure that the concentrations of the acetic acid used and specified in the recipe. If the recipe contains a mention of acetic essence, then there is a meant of 70% solution to dissolve or apply point. Food or table vinegar, respectively, contain 6 and 9% acid. Neglecting these data may result in the treatment will end with a chemical burn.
In addition to this moment, there is no special contraindications to treatment with vinegar. Individual intolerance is very rare, but vinegar is so common that patients usually know about this feature of the body. The feeling of burning may well arise during the first procedures, but this is normal, and over time passes. The rest of the vinegar, subject to security rules, does not pose any threat to health.
Warm foot baths are considered an effective remedy against fungus; regular use allows you to get rid of onychomycosis at an early stage without additional medications. Also, vinegar baths are an excellent prevention of fungal infections. The procedure requires warm, about 50 ° C, water and a glass of vinegar of 9% concentration. The water level in the basin should not be high, but only up to the ankles. The feet are dipped in the solution and kept there for 15 minutes.
Before the vinegar bath, it is advisable to carry out a full pedicure procedure, including the removal of the affected areas of the nail plate and dead skin layers, calluses and corns on the feet, but without applying a decorative coating to the nails. If you cut and file your nails yourself, then you need to do it very carefully, as micro-damage to the skin can contribute to the spread of fungal infection.
Immediately after the vinegar bath, the feet are wiped dry with a towel and cotton socks are put on. Repeat three times a week.
Lotions on places affected by the fungus are best done after vinegar baths. For this, both pharmacy products and pure 9% vinegar are suitable, in which a cotton pad is moistened and applied to the nail for fifteen minutes.
A more complex recipe: a mixture of vodka or forty-degree medical alcohol, glycerin and acetic acid 70% in equal proportions, mix until smooth. A cotton swab, moistened with a solution, is kept for fifteen minutes on the affected areas, after which cotton socks are put on. The course of treatment is a week, if necessary, you can repeat it after a few days.
Vinegar-based ointments are stored for a long time, they are more convenient to use than liquid consistency products. To prepare vinegar ointment, you need to take 70% acetic acid, dimethyl phthalate, glycerin and olive oil in a 2: 1: 1: 1 ratio, respectively. After thoroughly mixing all the ingredients, the ointment is ready for use.
To prevent the spread of fungal infection and destroy its pathogens, you need to apply ointment to the affected areas with a cotton swab every day, keep it for 8-10 hours, and then wash it off with laundry soap. This recipe can be used not only for the treatment of oncomycosis of toenails, but also on the affected nails of the hands.
Preventive measures against fungus consist in observing the rules of hygiene, especially in public places - a bathhouse, a swimming pool, a bowling club. Choose comfortable shoes and socks made from natural materials, since poor blood circulation in the feet, combined with high humidity, create the prerequisites for the development of onychomycosis (see also: onychomycosis - causes and prevention). Exercise, moderate exercise and jogging can improve blood circulation and immune defenses, making the body immune to fungal and other infections.
Treating toenail fungus with tea tree oil
Tea tree oil is an effective remedy against onchomycosis, acting directly on the cause of the disease - dermatophyte fungi. Tea tree essential oil contains alpha-terpinene, alpha-fellandrene, limonene, sabinene, cineole and other substances that provide its antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties.
Before using the essential oil, it is necessary to conduct an allergy test - apply a little product on the skin of the wrist, if no irritation, reddening of rashes and other reactions occur within 12 hours, then the product can be used for medicinal purposes. Otherwise, it must be diluted to a safe concentration, or this technique must be abandoned altogether.
Ways to use tea tree oil:
Tea tree oil foot bath. Warm water is poured into a basin to the level of the ankles, 15-20 drops of essential oil are added and the feet are kept in it for twenty minutes, maintaining a high water temperature (45-50 ° C). The course of treatment is two months, you need to do the baths daily. During the treatment procedure, it is necessary to remove the affected areas of the nail plate using a file, nail tongs or scissors.
Applying oil to the nail plate. If you do not have a reaction to undiluted tea tree oil, then in order to increase the effectiveness of the effect, it is applied in its pure form to the affected areas of the nail. First, the legs are steamed in warm water with the addition of laundry soap (for better dissolution, it can be grated). The oil is rubbed into the nail plate with a cotton swab twice a day, you do not need to wash off the product.
How to cure a fungus on the nails of the legs fast?
The internal and external use of hydrogen peroxide for the treatment of infectious and other diseases was described by Professor Neumyvakin in a book written on the basis of personal experience. He mentions hydrogen peroxide as a prophylactic agent with antibacterial properties.
External use of hydrogen peroxide for the treatment of fungal infection is carried out after steaming the feet in warm water with dissolved soda at the rate of one teaspoon per liter. When the nail plates become soft, pinch off a small fragment of the affected area of the nail using nail clippers and, soaking it with a 3% peroxide solution, attach it to the nail plate. Leave to act for 10-15 minutes on fingernails or from 40 minutes to an hour on the feet. Carry out the procedure twice a day until the symptoms of the fungal infection disappear.
To reduce the evaporation of peroxide and increase the intensity of the effect, the nail plate with a lotion is wrapped with plastic wrap. After the exposure time has elapsed, rinse your toes and hands thoroughly under running water.
For therapeutic and prophylactic purposes, it is recommended to instill the nail cavity with hydrogen peroxide three times a day.
Good results are given by baths for hands and feet (depending on the localization of onychomycosis) with hydrogen peroxide. Dilute 3% hydrogen peroxide in 40-50 ° C water at the rate of two tablespoons per liter of water. The procedure time is fifteen minutes, the regularity of the procedure is twice a day for a week.
Instead of hydrogen peroxide in this recipe, you can use dead water with a negative redox potential, it is also called anolyte water. Anolyte water is safe for use on sensitive skin, but has antiseptic properties, which reduces the rate of fungal growth.
Effective treatment of advanced toenail fungus
This extreme method of treating a fungal infection is used for severe lesions of the nail plate, it must be used with caution so as not to damage the skin.
To get rid of the fungus, the nail is treated with a rust neutralizer (available at an auto parts store). This product contains phosphoric acid, which effectively kills fungus, but can damage skin tissue if used carelessly. Therefore, in the process of using it, it is necessary to observe safety precautions - to work in a well-ventilated room, wearing goggles and rubber gloves, avoiding contact with the skin and mucous membranes.
A source: personal experience of the site reader.
! A safer way would be to use kerosene, which also has a high penetrating power and a very large effect on the fungus.
Other folk remedies for toenail fungus
Comprehensive treatment of toenail fungus using folk recipes based on hydrogen peroxide allows you to destroy the fungus and permanently get rid of the unpleasant odor and other accompanying symptoms.
Two effective folk remedies for fungal infections:
Peroxide recipe 1. To prepare the medicated mixture, you will need slaked soda (0.5 cups), hot water (4 cups), 3% hydrogen peroxide (0.25 cups), and half a cup of magnesium sulfate or Epsom salts. Mix all the ingredients thoroughly and add another quarter cup of vinegar. Soak a cotton swab with the resulting solution and fix it on the nail plate affected by the fungus with a plaster. The bandage needs to be renewed every ten hours, the course of treatment is a month.
Peroxide recipe 2. The procedure for treating fungus according to this recipe consists of three stages. First, it is necessary to prepare a solution for treating the surfaces of the nail and skin affected by the fungus - mix 3% vinegar and peroxide in 3% concentration in a 1: 1 ratio. This mixture is applied to the feet while it sizzles. The second stage is to immerse fingers with a fungal infection of the nail for half a minute in a weak solution of bleach in water, after which they are thoroughly rinsed under running water and wiped dry with a towel. At the end, tea tree oil mixed with petroleum jelly in equal proportions is applied to the nail plate. Wear warm socks or gloves (if this technique was used to treat fingernail cancer). The course of treatment is a week.
Novocaine lotion. A very simple but effective folk remedy in the treatment of fungus is novocaine lotion. Just soak a piece of cotton wool with novocaine and apply it to the fungus overnight. Just two such lotions are enough to get rid of the fungus forever.
Apricot resin tincture: Pour 1 tablespoon of the resin removed from the tree with a glass of vodka, insist for three days. Lubricate the skin of the feet and nails with this solution. Shake well before each use. It took us a month for treatment, the affected nails were cut off as they peeled off, new, healthy ones grew. On examination, the doctor confirmed the fact of recovery. I can also recommend using old, thickened sunflower oil in this case.
Garlic appliques: I took a clove of garlic, squeezed it out with a garlic maker, applied the mass to the nail, covered it with cellophane and wrapped it in a bandage or put on a fingertip. I left the bandage on until the morning, the first days I felt a throbbing pain, like an abscess, but I had to endure. The procedures were repeated daily and new nails grew.
Strong coffee. Few people know that regular, but strong coffee is a very good folk remedy for treating fungus. Dilute your coffee a little and simply dip your hands or feet into the cup, depending on where you have the fungus. This procedure is best done in the evening, before bed. The fungus completely disappears after several such evening procedures. At the same time, the skin becomes smooth, and pains pass quickly.
The author of the article: Sokolova Nina Vladimirovna | PhytotherapistEducation:
Diploma in the specialty "General Medicine" and "Therapy" received at the University named after NI Pirogov (2005 and 2006). Advanced training at the Department of Phytotherapy at the Peoples' Friendship University of Moscow (2008).Our Authors
Fungus of the nail plate (onychomycosis) is a fairly common dermatological disease, from which up to 20% of the world's population suffers in one form or another.
One or more nails can be affected by any of the varieties of dermatophytes (microorganisms parasitizing on the human body), both on the hands and feet. The causative agents of onychomycosis multiply rapidly in a humid and warm environment, in shaded areas. Infectious dermatophyte fungi can corrode not only nails, but also skin and hair. Older people have a higher prevalence of the disease.
Let's take a closer look at why a fungus appears, and also review the 5 most effective drugs for treating toenail fungus at home.
How can you get infected with a fungus
Onychomycosis is an infectious disease. The pathogen enters the body from the external environment. Let's figure out what causes nail fungus, the causes of this disease are different.
The source of infection can be:
- A sick man. Some types of fungi parasitize only on humans, so you can only get infected from a sick person. You can get infected with toenail fungus on your feet both through direct contact with the patient, and when using common objects - shoes, towels, etc.
- Animals. There are types of fungi that affect both humans and animals. People tend to become infected through contact with sick pets.
- Wednesday. Another type of fungi can multiply outside living organisms. You can get infected by contact with soil or water.
Thus, you can get infected anywhere. But, of course, not every contact with the pathogen ends with the development of a fungus on the toenails. The following provoking factors can lead to the development of onychomycosis:
- age after 60 years;
- circulatory disorders in the lower extremities;
- weakening of immunity caused by a chronic disease or other factors;
- wearing uncomfortable, breathable shoes.
How does nail fungus start? The initial stage of toenail fungus does not cause physical discomfort; the changes relate to the appearance of the nail plate. Fungus of nails at the initial stage is manifested by the appearance of spots or stripes of unnatural color. If the toenail fungus is not treated at the initial stage, then the progression of the disease will begin.
All fungi are prone to aggressive colonization of their host. Germination of mycelium in tissue is similar to the growth of tree roots in a building. Branching, the body of the fungus destroys the cellular structure of tissues, causing destruction.
It's all about their way of absorbing food. The mycelium secretes enzymes that destroy dead keratinocytes, cells of the nail plate, and absorb nutrients. Unfortunately, these enzymes affect not only dead cells, but also disrupt the functioning of healthy ones.
The disease progresses in five stages:
- Infection. The fungus attaches to the dead skin scales, gradually approaching the nail. No symptoms are observed.
- Normotrophic. The nail grows dull and yellow at the edges, thickens slightly at the corners. There is a smell and discomfort.
- Hypertrophic. Yellowness covers the entire nail, deformation of the nail plate occurs with the appearance of transverse striation. In 60% of cases, it is accompanied by a thickening of the entire nail. The edge of the nail plate is loosened, exfoliated.
- Atrophic. Pieces of the nail plate fall off, exposing the nail bed, covered with loose horny masses. Dull, yellowish or gray nails.
- Onycholysis. The nail plate becomes thinner and falls off. If the matrix is not touched, the nail will grow back.
The good news for us is that mycelium does not penetrate living tissues. He has enough dead cells, and when it enters the nail bed, the fungus is immediately attacked by the immune system and dies. However, with prolonged infection, a violation of the trophism of the nail leads to a weakening of the barrier function, and pieces of mycelium can go into the bloodstream in search of a new fertile place. In addition, the constant fight against the fungus depletes the reserves of immunity.
To confirm the diagnosis, the specialist gives the patient a referral for tests:
- Microscopy. The scraping removed from the nail plate is treated by a laboratory assistant with a special substance to destroy keratin. In this form, the material is easier to examine under a microscope. The disadvantage of microscopic examination is the impossibility of determining the type of fungus. However, the analysis answers already serve as the basis for the appointment of broad-spectrum antimycotics.
- Cultural research. In laboratory conditions, the material is placed in a nutrient medium Sabouraud - sowing for the rapid development of the fungus. The pathogen is identified by the color, growth rate and shape of the parasite colonies. Also, the technique reveals the sensitivity of strains to drugs. But the patient receives the results of the analysis only 3 - 5 days after it was carried out.
- DNA diagnostics. Detection of DNA cells of fungal infection occurs when examining nail scrapings affected by dermatophytes or candidal fungi. The method does not detect mold strains. The results of the analysis are given to the patient within 1 - 2 days. The disadvantage of DNA diagnostics of onychomycosis of the feet is the high cost, due to the need to use special equipment.
The external symptoms of the fungus are not specific, they only indicate the defeat of the toenails. The cause of the disease becomes clear only after conducting diagnostic studies. For the appointment of adequate therapy, onychomycosis of the feet is differentiated from lichen planus, nail psoriasis, keratoderma and other diseases that cause impaired nail nutrition.
How to treat a fungus at home
Do not hope that the fungus will clear up on its own. The longer a person suffers from this disease, the more difficult further treatment will be.
The duration of the course of treatment and the selection of medications depends on:
- Stages of the disease.
- The degree of damage to the nail.
- The clinical form of the disease.
Before starting active actions, you need to minimize the negative impact of the external environment, eliminate the reasons why the fungus appeared under the toenails:
- A warm and humid environment is ideal for the growth of various microorganisms, try to dry your shoes all the time after walking, wear socks only made from natural materials that provide normal heat and air exchange;
- Foot fungus often appears due to poor immunity, you can simply step on the floor with your bare foot and catch an infection, in order to avoid this, take vitamins;
- Frequent nail extensions can be one of the reasons for the appearance of onychomycosis, limit the procedure to 1 session in six months;
- The most difficult to remove is a fungus caused by active spores. They penetrate into the grooves between the nails and fingers, they can be in the sleep stage for some time, and then grow sharply. Most often they are infected in public places (swimming pools, showers, solariums), when using someone else's shoes, etc.
The initial stages of nail fungus require the use of local drugs, which can be in the form of:
- Solutions (Clotrimazole, Exoderil).
- Ointment for fungus (Triderm, Oxyconazole, Ketoconazole).
- Creams (Ekodax, Atifin, Thermikon).
- Varnish (Batrafen, Mycosan, Cyclopiroxolamine).
It is advisable to apply preparations for external use after keratolytic treatment of the nail plate.
Before each procedure for using the medication, you must:
- Make a soap and soda bath. Add a tablespoon of baking soda and salt and 50 g of laundry soap to a small bath. Keep the feet in the solution for about 15 minutes.
- Treat the damaged nail. With the help of a special file, the upper layer of the nail is sharpened so that the drug is better absorbed.
- Apply medication. The drug is applied to dry, clean toenails and the skin around them.
When using solutions, ointments and creams, the drug is applied 2-3 times a day, varnishes - 2 times a week. The course of treatment is determined by the doctor depending on the existing injuries.
If the nail plates are completely affected and local preparations do not have a positive effect, it is recommended to combine them with systemic antimycotics.
Systemic drugs have a large list of contraindications and should be prescribed by the attending physician. Most of them are prohibited from taking during pregnancy and lactation, in childhood and in chronic liver and kidney diseases.
In severe cases of subungual fungus, removal of the nail plate may be required. The procedure can be performed both surgically and with the help of keratolytics that contain salicylic acid and urea.
The most famous of them include:
Removal of the affected nail with keratolytic patches is notable for its painlessness and convenience. After steaming the legs, the plaster is gently applied to the affected nail plate and sealed with adhesive plaster. After a few days, the plaster is removed, the affected areas of the plate are cut off, one of the antifungal drugs is applied. The procedure is performed several times.
5 most effective drugs for treating fungus
If the disease is not started, then only topical remedies can be used - varnish, solution with antimycotic effect.
Consider the 5 most effective varnishes and ointments for treating fungus:
- Clotrimazole ... A universal anti-fungal cream that eliminates all types of fungi. The ointment first stops the multiplication of mycosis, and then destroys the fungus. The results are noticeable within a week after the start of the intake. The recovery time depends on the degree of penetration of the fungus, but usually from a month to six months.
- Mycosan ... This ointment is considered narrowly targeted, ideal for getting rid of dermatophytes. The rest of the fungi do not react to its active components, therefore, it is worth applying the ointment only in agreement with the mycologist after a comprehensive examination. The first positive results can be seen within a week after application. The drug does not kill the fungus directly and does not block their development, it destroys the lipid membrane of the fungus, which is necessary for its life support.
- Batrafen ... The most popular varnish among mycologists, it is prescribed first. Batrafen copes with all types of fungus, has high abrasion resistance. Most patients get a healthy nail within six months of starting use. The drug is contraindicated in pregnant women, nursing mothers and people prone to allergies.
- Lamisil ... The advantage of ointment over tablets is the speed of suppression of fungal formations. Spores will stop spreading within 2-3 days after the first application. The nail recovers in 2-3 months. Besides healing, Lamisil relieves itching, irritation and redness of the skin.
- Oflomil ... This drug is no less effective and versatile. It lays a transparent layer on the nail and lasts about a week without chips. The results of treatment appear one month after the first application. It is contraindicated to apply to people suffering from various kinds of allergies, pregnant women and children under 12 years of age.
The use of such funds, as a rule, is long-term. You can restore your nails if you use the products regularly. So, Lotseril is applied twice a week for 6-12 months. The use of Batrafen is carried out according to a special scheme described in the instructions. Covering the nail on top with manicure varnish is allowed.
If topical ointments, creams, and medical varnishes are not enough to help remove the fungus, you can use oral agents - tablets. They have the same properties as ointments and will not allow the further spread and reproduction of fungi.
Let's take a look at the 5 most effective pills for treating nail fungus:
- Orungal - apply 1-2 capsules daily, treatment with a break for 2-3 weeks. The course of treatment must be repeated until complete recovery.
- Diflucan - taken weekly, allows you to cure even stagnant fungus.
- Fucis, Flucostat and Fluconozole - in tablets or solution, applied once a week, until a healthy nail appears, kill bacteria and infections that cause fungus inside the body.
- Mikoflucan - will relieve yeast, cryptococci, microsporias and other manifestations of the fungus, it will take several weeks to take the drug, until a healthy nail plate grows on the feet.
- Ketoconazole , the tablets will help with severe mycosis of the tissues, however, their effect on the fungus will begin in 2-3 months, the course of administration will be quite long.
Getting rid of foot fungus won't work that quickly. The treatment of onychomycosis will take about 6-12 months, depending on the form of the disease, stage and course. After all, complex therapy involves the use of various drugs and a recovery period, during which the dermatologist prescribes a maintenance course.
Nail fungus is not only a cosmetic defect, but a serious disease that reduces the protective functions of the body. Against the background of weak immunity, dangerous pathologies can develop. Timely diagnosis and treatment will help avoid problems associated with onychomycosis. Therefore, you need to carefully monitor your health.
5 best folk remedies to treat nail fungus
Natural folk remedies are quite effective for onychomycosis in its early stages. Most of them, used at home, really help get rid of the disease.
1) Hydrogen peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide perfectly removes toenail fungus in advanced (chronic) form, but the treatment will be quite long. Dermatologists recommend, in the process of getting rid of pathology, to lubricate healthy marigolds with perhydrol daily (once every 2 days) in order to prevent their infection.
So how to treat advanced toenail fungus with hydrogen peroxide?
- Method 1. Steam the legs in a basin (bucket) and try to remove (cut, scrape off) the affected crust from the nail plates. Dip a gauze swab in perhydrol and apply to the treated nail. Wrap with foil on top. Repeat the procedure twice a day until a healthy nail plate grows back.
- Method 2. Combine perhydrol with apple cider vinegar in equal amounts. Soak a gauze napkin with the resulting composition and apply it to the nail corroded by the disease. Wait for the effervescent effect to end. Rinse your feet with running water and dry thoroughly. Next, apply a pharmaceutical preparation prescribed by doctors.
- Method 3. Steam feet in hot water with the addition of liquid laundry soap or copper sulphate, dry. Apply a cotton pad, abundantly moistened with peroxide, on the affected nail, cover with a piece of film, fix with a bandage strip. Withstand the compress for 35-40 minutes, scrape off the softened tissue corroded by the fungus. Next, treat the surface with an antifungal drug prescribed by an infectious disease specialist.
Treatment of onychomycosis in a neglected form with vinegar (wine, apple) is a proven and effective way. To get the expected result, it is important:
- Use a natural product without chemical additives;
- Observe the proportions in the compositions;
- Follow the treatment regimen;
- Use only your own things.
We take sour baths
Prepare a basin (bucket) where you can comfortably position your feet. Pour warm water and vinegar (in equal amounts) into it. The fingers should be completely covered with the cleansing liquid. The duration of the session is 40-50 minutes. The sessions should be repeated until the affected cornea is completely replaced. With a complicated stage of onychomycosis, the baths should be carried out with the simultaneous administration of pharmaceuticals prescribed by the mycologist.
Making vinegar compresses
Pour 2 tablespoons into a bowl. tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, prepare a cotton swab (disk), plastic wrap. Soak a cotton swab with vinegar, attach to the infected cornea, wrap (not too tight!) With foil. Leave it on for 3-3.5 hours. The total duration of vinegar therapy is 2.5-3 months. The sessions can be stopped only when the new nail plate is completely formed. Even a small amount of infected tissue left behind can provoke a return of the pathological process.
We process marigolds with iodine-vinegar composition
Good results are obtained by treating nail fungus in a neglected form with apple cider vinegar in combination with an alcoholic 5% iodine solution. The components are mixed in equal quantities.
Before processing, the nail plates should be softened in hot water, cut off the flaking parts. The prepared composition is applied with a cotton pad (stick) to the entire affected cornea with a careful grip of the lateral edge. Do not forget to lubricate healthy nails with a solution (using another disc) to prevent infection.
The effectiveness of treatment of nail fungus with iodine in a neglected form has been confirmed by both dermatologists and mycologists. What is the secret to the effectiveness of such a popular (and cheap!) Method? Iodine is able to fold proteins. Parasites that destroy the stratum corneum have a protein structure and feed on keratin, a fibrillar protein. Therefore, iodine has the ability to "crush" mycosis, directly affecting it.
- Method 1. Apply one drop of solution (5%) to the nail plate twice a day. Also, do not disregard neighboring marigolds - lubricate them with iodine once a day. Do not forget that the solution gives the nail plates an unaesthetic yellowish tint. After 7-10 days, a strong burning sensation will appear in the damaged areas - a sign that the destruction of pathogenic microorganisms has begun. The entire course of treatment takes 20-40 days. If the sensations are unbearable - process the nails once / day.
- Method 2. For half an hour, steam your feet in very hot water with the addition of baking soda (1 tablespoon - 1 liter of water) and salt (twice the amount). Bite off with tweezers or cut off the dead areas with scissors, rinse them with clean water, dry them. Cover each affected nail plate (using a cotton pad, cotton wool) with three layers of iodine solution (after the previous one has completely dried). The procedure is carried out at bedtime for 30 days.
The positive dynamics of the treatment of nail fungus in a chronic (neglected) form with iodine is indicated by numerous reviews of people who have used this method.
four) Tea tree oil
Make sure you are not allergic to this drug before use. Apply some oil on your wrist and leave it on for 12 hours.
If there is no irritation, you can safely use it. The entire course lasts two months and includes steaming or direct application. For the bath, 5 drops of oil are added per liter of water. The undiluted extract is applied with a cotton swab to the surface of the nail after steaming the feet in soapy water.
You do not need to wash it off.
5) Essential oils
Did you know that some essential oils are famous for their excellent antimycotic properties? For example, if an advanced form of nail fungus is diagnosed, then their treatment can be carried out using the following oils:
- Oregano (oregano) is one of the most effective natural anti-fungal and antibacterial agents. Carvacrol, a component of the oil, is known for its strong bactericidal properties.
- Tea tree - able to cope with bacterial, viral, fungal infections, including chronic mycosis on the toes.
- Lavender - has an antiseptic, antifungal, regenerating effect. The properties are enhanced when combined with tea tree oil extract.
- Cloves - has a substance eugenol, which copes well with fungal parasites, etc.
Let's take a look at how to treat an advanced toenail fungus with oil concentrates:
- Thoroughly wash your feet using washing (tar, fir) soap, dry.
- Apply all essential products diluted (except lavender oil). You can combine them with the following base oils - jojoba, almond, olive.
- The procedures are carried out daily for 2-3 months.
- You can enhance the effect of medicinal oils by combining them with baths, pharmacological preparations.
- Recipe 1. Combine 100 ml of warmed vinegar (9%), 6 drops of tea tree oil, 2 drops of oregano oil. Add the composition to a bowl of warm water. Keep feet in the healing bath for 20 minutes. Please note that the water should wash over the ankles.
- Recipe 2. 10 drops of lavender oil, 6 drops of tea tree mixed with 4 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar. Pour the mixture into a dark glass container and shake well. Add 30 ml of chilled boiled water and shake well again. Lubricate damaged nails with the resulting lotion 3 times a day. Shake well before each use.
- Recipe 3. Measure out 2 tbsp. tablespoons of talcum powder or 2 tbsp. tablespoons of cornmeal and pour into a plastic bag. Add 15 drops of lavender oil and 5 drops of peppermint essential oil. Tie (glue) the bag, shake well and leave for a day. Apply not only to infected nails, but also to the entire foot after cleansing baths.
- Recipe 4. Mix 5 drops of lavender and tea tree oil and 1 tbsp. a spoonful of almond oil. Store in a tinted glass container. Moisten a cotton wool with an oil "cocktail" three times a day and apply applications to the affected areas.
Feedback on the results after treatment
- Lyudmila, 46 years old ... For a long time I did not know how to cure the fungus on my feet. I tried many folk recipes: compresses with iodine, applied novocaine, made lotions with garlic tincture. I realized that external remedies were not suitable for me, and decided to splurge on the expensive Orungamin. The miracle happened already on day 2 - the marigold began to brighten, and after a week the fungus was gone.
- Boris, 34 years old ... I had onychomycosis so badly that the nail plate detached. The doctor suggested removing it, but I was afraid of a radical procedure and decided to treat the nail myself. I bought the usual Clotrimazole ointment at the pharmacy, made salt baths in between applications, and the problem began to gradually go away. After 3 months, the nail is completely renewed.
- Valentina Ivanovna, 69 years old ... After an unsuccessful pedicure in a beauty salon, the toenail began to turn yellow and break. I realized from the photo on the Internet that I caught the fungus. In the same place, according to reviews, I found an effective (as was later confirmed) Terbinafin ointment. I applied it 2 or even 3 times a day for a whole month. My nail slowly recovered on its own, did not even begin to slip.
One of the most effective means of which the fungus is "afraid" is high-quality prevention.
- It is very important to maintain the normal function of the immune system, which requires a proper diet (minimum alcohol and coffee, maximum vegetables, proteins) physical activity. In a weakened body, the infection spreads very quickly.
- You should know and strictly follow the rules of personal hygiene. Those who do this drastically reduce the chances of infection. There is no need to explain why you cannot wear someone else's shoes, use personal hygiene products.
- Also, you cannot walk barefoot in pools, saunas, baths, on the beach.
- You need to wipe your feet dry after showering.
- It is important to know how to disinfect areas where fungus could theoretically be found. In the absence of special agents against the fungus, ordinary whiteness can be used for this.
Remember that the manifestation of nail fungus is always much easier to prevent than to get rid of this unpleasant ailment later.
Hello dear readers. Nail fungus is one of the most common forms of mycotic damage to the body. The disease is quite unpleasant and it can be difficult to recover from it. The disease cannot be started, because it is not a cosmetic problem, but a serious pathology. But not everyone knows which approach will be correct. It should be noted right away that self-medication is not the best choice in this situation. But information about what the disease is and how to quickly get rid of nail fungus will not be superfluous for anyone.
What is the reason for infection with nail fungus
Nail fungus, or as it is called in medicine, onychomycosis, is a disease that causes damage to the nail plates and adjacent areas by parasitic fungal microorganisms. This is one of the subspecies of mycoses. If we consider all the diseases that the feet can only be susceptible to, onychomycosis is the most common.
It can be caused by several groups of fungi:
You can catch the infection in public places where the air humidity is excessive. This includes baths, steam rooms, swimming pools, beaches.
Wooden objects (benches, sun beds, etc.) are widely used here. Due to the porosity of the wood, the fungus is difficult to destroy there.
In addition, doctors identify several risk groups. For people belonging to one of them, the likelihood of infection increases dramatically.
- elderly people;
- cancer patients exposed to chemotherapy;
- after a course of treatment with antibiotics or steroids;
- patients with diabetes.
It is not always possible to get rid of the disease quickly. The rate of cure depends on the type of parasite that caused it, the stage of development of the disease, the area of the lesion, the presence of complications and concomitant ailments, the general condition of the body.
Symptoms of onychomycosis
Damage to the nails with a parasitic fungus cannot go unnoticed. Symptomatic changes in the nail plates are expressed quite clearly and boil down to the following.
- Natural shine and transparency are lost.
- The color changes. It can be yellowish, brownish, whitish, bluish, greenish, grayish.
- Roughness of the surface appears.
- Stripes, spots and bumps are clearly visible.
- Layering is observed.
- Peeling occurs from the nail bed.
- Different areas are painted and crumbled.
- The surrounding tissue may turn red, swell, and itch.
- Painful sensations arise.
- The feet give off an unpleasant odor.
Despite all this, self-diagnosis can be difficult. At the beginning of development, the signs of onychomycosis are similar to the symptoms of some other lesions:
- injury to the nail area;
- age-related changes;
- psoriasis of nails;
- pseudomonas onychia.
How to quickly get rid of toenail fungus with folk remedies and medicines
You should be realistic and understand that fungal infection of the nail and non-nail areas is not healed in a week. According to doctors, the healing period can last from 6-8 weeks to six months, and sometimes 8-12 months.
It depends on many factors, as well as on the growth activity of the nails. On the hands, this process proceeds much faster than on the legs, therefore, the cure here comes earlier.
The best and fastest positive results can be obtained if you adhere to the recommendations below.
- Use a variety of therapeutic measures in combination. You should not rely on the effectiveness of any one miracle remedy. Combine pharmacological preparations and traditional medicine recipes competently.
- Treatment should be active, but gentle - aggressive agents, often used for therapeutic purposes, should not affect healthy areas of the body located in the immediate vicinity of the affected.
- Strictly adhere to hygiene requirements so that the fungus does not creep, as well as to avoid re-infection soon after cure. And the likelihood of this is very high.
- Watch for dryness in the affected limbs. Remember that moisture and warmth are ideal conditions for active growth of the fungus.
- Eliminate all the causes that caused the onychomycosis and eliminate them.
- Every day, carefully, but as much as possible, cut off the growing nail edge affected by the disease. If possible, go through the procedure of laser exposure, which very effectively inhibits the pathological activity of pathogens.
Agents acting against pathogens are usually subdivided into three subgroups, depending on the active components. Each of them has in its arsenal both external ointment agents and tablets of general action for the whole body.
It should be borne in mind that the latter have an extensive list of side effects. Therefore, you should not prescribe drugs yourself. To minimize the risks, it is necessary to undergo an examination, to identify which types of fungus caused the disease, and to act with medications "targeted".
Subgroups of antimycotic drugs
- Azole remedies. They are based on triazole or imidazole, as well as their derivatives. Depending on the concentration, they exhibit fungistatic or fungicidal effects. They are effective in the fight against mold and yeast-like fungi. Examples: clotrimazole, miconazole, bifonazole, etc.
- Allylamine drugs. The active ingredients can be terbinafine, naftifine, butenafine. They are able to stop the growth of fungus, and also have an anti-inflammatory effect. Examples: lamisil, terbinafine, naftifine, etc.
- Other drugs. They act on the basis of flucytosine, morpholine, griseofulvin, chloronitrophenol additives. They are distinguished by a narrower activity aimed at certain types of fungal pathogens.
At the beginning of the development of onychomycotic lesions, one should resort only to the help of ointments. Only if they turn out to be ineffective, is the intake of tableted antimycotics introduced.
The difference between creams and ointments:
- have a direct effect on the lesions;
- relatively harmless;
- have fewer contraindications;
- side reactions are limited.
If you find an ailment at the beginning of development, then you will be able to cope with it within a month.
Most Popular Antifungal Creams and Ointments
- Zinc ointment. Allows you to relieve inflammation, dry affected areas, get rid of itching, get an absorbent effect.
- Candide (clotrimazole). Broad action agent. The duration of use is from 2 weeks to six months. It also has an antiseptic effect. May cause dry skin, burning sensation, allergic skin manifestations. Contraindicated for pregnant women and nursing mothers, as well as young children under the age of three.
- Exoderil (naftifine). Fights inflammation, has antimicrobial effect. The product is prone to accumulation in the treated surfaces. Use the ointment no more than twice a day. The product is not used during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
Use of pills
To provide a systemic effect on the entire body, the doctor prescribes oral pills. A wide range of drugs are prescribed.
- Diflucan (fluconazole, medoflucon). It is enough to take it only once a day. The product is well tolerated. In rare cases, intestinal disorders and rashes on the body may occur. The course of treatment can be 1-4 weeks.
- Irunin (Orungal, Sporanox). Can be used for pulse therapy. The drug is not prescribed for renal failure, pregnancy, hypersensitivity to the action of the drug. May cause allergic reactions, dizziness, hypokalemia, abdominal pain.
- Terbizil. Able to accumulate in the skin and its horny formations (hair, nails). The course of treatment is at least 6 weeks. Take 1 tablet per day. The medicine is not given to young children, pregnant and lactating women. It can provoke migraines, muscle and joint pains, allergies, anorexia.
Take all medications for toenail or toenail fungus only after consulting your doctor.
How to treat toenail fungus with folk remedies at home
First of all, you should strictly adhere to all medical recommendations, do not skip taking medications and bring the treatment to the end, and not interrupt the course after the elimination of especially annoying symptoms.
In addition, you need:
- use local baths regularly;
- apply a specialized varnish that blocks the spread of the fungus, and also has a healing effect;
- daily remove the protruding parts of the growing nail, which is affected by the disease;
- use special means to soften the nail plate in order to remove it;
- steam hands or feet before using topical external agents;
- to carry out activities to prevent infection of households.
Varnishes have a number of advantages. The active components penetrate well deep into the affected nails, but at the same time they freeze and do not leave marks on clothes, sheets, shoes.
The hardened layer reliably blocks the oxygen supply to pathogens, which blocks their activity. But lacquer remedies are effective only at the initial stage of onychomycosis.
Before using varnishes, you should resort to using a warm local bath. Damp plates affected by the fungus are cut to the maximum, processed with a file or other grinding device. Wipe the surface dry
It is recommended to cover healthy nails with varnish. The procedure is repeated every evening for a long period - from several months to six months.
You can use
Part or all of the plate can be removed. But this is not a guarantee of complete recovery from the disease. The likelihood of further spread of fungal infection is very high.
After surgery, the finger heals for a long time. In addition, suppuration may develop. The newly growing nail may be deformed. Laser therapy is a preferred alternative to this method.
After the surgical removal of the damaged nail formation, special emphasis is placed on the drug treatment of the fungus. In some, especially severe cases, the growth zone can be removed, after which the finger will remain "naked" - the nail cannot grow back here.
Alternative methods are slower than medical ones, but have fewer side effects. They can only be effective for treating an early stage in the development of the disease.
Later, folk recipes are used exclusively in combination with pharmacological preparations as auxiliary measures.
For the treatment of nail fungus, such agents are used.
- Garlic. Garlic gruel is applied in the form of applications on sore nails. A fixing bandage is placed on top. Every night repetition of the procedure is practiced. You can also use squeezed garlic juice in an equal mixture with alcohol. The nails are treated with the resulting balm twice a day.
- Vinegar. Acetic acid acidifies the environment, which deactivates pathogens. Damaged nails are lubricated with this tool every day. You can use vinegar compresses. To do this, lumps of cotton wool are moistened in vinegar and fixed on the right fingers in the affected area. Compresses stand all night, removing in the morning.
- Peroxide. Like vinegar and other similar products, it is applied directly to nails or cotton swabs. Peroxide acts as an antiseptic.
- Alcohol solution of iodine. They can cover the nail plates, including healthy ones, 1-2 times a day. In addition, an iodine supplement is suitable for any bath. To do this, it is enough to add just a few drops of the product.
- Propolis tincture. Can be used for lotions, as well as in local hand or foot baths. Compresses are left on the nails overnight. You can prepare an ointment, which is a mixture of propolis and butter. The composition is applied to gauze and placed in the desired area. The tool is left for 10 hours.
- Hot vegetable products. For the treatment of onychomycosis, onions or horseradish are suitable. They have antimicrobial properties. Herbal products are used in the form of gruel. You can also make a kind of ointment by mixing liquid pomace with butter or melted chicken fat.
- Essential extracts. These funds have anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, regenerative effects. For the preparation of local baths or as part of mixtures for compresses, you can use oils:
- tea tree;
- fir and some others.
The essential extract is mixed with petroleum jelly in a 1: 1 ratio. It should be rubbed into damaged nail plates. As always in such cases, the remedy will have a stronger effect if the nails are previously steamed.
The risk of re-infection with the fungus after getting rid of the disease is very high. Therefore, you need to clearly follow simple rules:
- follow the hygiene of the feet;
- get rid of shoes, towels and socks that were used during treatment;
- exclude the sharing of similar things with other family members;
- avoid excessive moisturizing of the feet, use talcum powder;
- treat the inner surfaces of shoes with antiseptics.
Do not forget, take all medications for nail fungus after consulting your doctor.
On the blog, you can read other articles:
How nail fungus is transmitted - symptoms. Cheap and effective ointment for fungus.
Does iodine help against nail fungus?
Tea tree oil for nail fungus. How to use in pure form, in mixes and trays.
The best remedy for toenail fungus.
Symptoms of toenail fungus, the first signs.
Treatment of nail fungus with soda.
An effective treatment for toenail fungus.
Treating nail fungus with vinegar - antifungal agents.
Is it possible to cure nail fungus with folk remedies.
The main causes of nail fungus on the hands.
Instructions for the use of exoderil cream.
Which nail fungus treatment is most effective?
Take care of yourself, watch your health. Be healthy!
The author of the article is Boris Ivanovich Ilyinsky,
Treating nail fungus at home
This article contains the most effective, proven methods of treating fungus. Fungal infection of the nail plates is dangerous with complications, disfigures the appearance of the fingers, and does not allow wearing beautiful shoes. Let's talk about how to cure toenail fungus at home with minimal investment of time and money. Information about therapeutic methods of getting rid of ailments, folk remedies is collected in this material. The advice of experts will help you carry out an effective course of treatment at home and prevent the spread of the infection to other areas of the skin and into the tissues of internal organs.
How does the disease develop
Fungus of nails does not arise rapidly, this pathology is characterized by a slow course and it is impossible not to notice its initial stage. It is recommended to closely monitor the condition of the nail plates in order to start the treatment of the disease on time. Signs that should alert you are:
- discoloration of the nail surface;
- fragility and crumbling of the cornea;
- detachment of the plate from the bed;
- the porosity of the diseased nail.
The first two symptoms signal the onset of the disease, the second pair of signs is characteristic of the peak of the infection. To cure the fungus of toenails at the first stage is possible with folk remedies, the subsequent ones require complex therapy, including medications and phytotherapy. Both can be done at home, but after consulting a doctor.
Causes of infection and why nail fungus is dangerous
Onychomycosis occurs on the nail plates of the hands and feet, the symptoms of the development of infection are the same. The nail surface on the toes is more often affected, this is due to increased sweating of the lower extremities, wearing closed shoes in cold seasons, and the peculiarities of hygienic care. A person washes their feet much less often than their hands, so infection occurs more often.
In addition to the external conditions for the penetration of the pathogen into the corneal tissue, there are other reasons on which the formation of foci of fungal infection depends.
- Injury to the fingers on the extremities contributes to the penetration of the sources of infection into the skin and the stratum corneum.
- Choosing low-quality shoes made from airtight materials leads to the fact that the feet are constantly in a humid environment.
- Violation of hormonal balance in the body and carbohydrate metabolism contribute to the multiplication of pathogens of various fungal colonies.
- Immunodeficiency due to systemic health failures weakens the degree of resistance to infections.
- Therapy with antibiotics and drugs of the cosicosteroid group disrupts the balance of beneficial and harmful microflora, which causes uncontrolled reproduction of fungal pathogens.
- Dryness and drying out of the limbs pathologically changes the structure of the skin and corneas, which is a condition for the formation of colonies of harmful microorganisms on them.
Onychomycosis, affecting the stratum corneum, penetrates into the layers of the dermis, penetrates into the structures of the tissues of internal organs. The areas affected by a fungal infection itch, look unaesthetic, they appear on them with lesions, cracks, peeling.
It is important to know! A person sick with a fungal infection is the source of the disease. His clothes, shoes, hygiene items are contagious. Therefore, all family members need to be careful.
Can nail fungus be cured quickly?
Is it possible to cure the fungus in the shortest possible time? Some succeeded, but most of the patients got rid of the problem for a long time and used various methods for this. Doctors claim that cure nail fungus quickly is possible only with the use of a complex therapeutic scheme. Composite components course of treatment are taking tablets, external ointments and solutions, using folk remedies ... Each of these methods requires detailed consideration.
External drug therapy
To eliminate the focus of fungal infection, a whole arsenal of ointments, gels, and solutions is recommended. But in order to use them correctly, it is necessary to determine the causative agent of the disease. This is done with the help of laboratory tests, which are prescribed by a doctor.
When determining the mechanism for treating a fungus with local remedies, the doctor recommends a drug with an active substance that actively destroys a certain type of spore.
- Creams Batrafen and Cyclopiroxolamine with the active ingredient ciclopiroxolamine are relevant for the initial period of infection. The composition of the drug is active against yeast-like, moldy fungal colonies, dermatophytes with a distal lesion of the nail plate.
- Bifosin, Mikospor - creams with the active ingredient bifonazole pierce the protective shell of fungal cells and destroy them from the inside. Relevant for various pathogens.
- Popular creams of universal action are Exoderil, Nizoral, Lamisil.
- Sprays Terbiks, Lamitel and Nitrofungin solution.
The listed funds are in the middle price category from 200 to 350 rubles. If you are interested in budget drugs, it is recommended to pay attention to the veterinary drug Creolin, as well as Fundizol and Castellani Liquid (up to 100 rubles).
The course of treatment with external agents lasts until the problem is eliminated. A sick nail must be treated with a product at least twice a day.
Keep in mind! External drugs are preferable to pills because they have fewer side effects.
Medicines for the disease in tablet form
At home, you can treat nail fungus with pills. The term of application is determined by the doctor. Usually a two-month course is prescribed, then laboratory tests are carried out, which confirm or do not confirm the elimination of the disease. Repeated therapy is carried out with a break, since the tablets are toxic to the liver.
Fungal tablets are prescribed for systemic fungal infection. That is, when there are complications in the form of penetration of pathogens into the oral region, lungs, intestines. Common antifungal medications include:
- Intraconazole - for the rapid elimination of Candida colonies, moldy fungal spores and dermatophytes;
- Lamisil - for dermatophytes;
- Fluconazole (Diflucan) is a broad-spectrum drug from various types of fungal colonies.
With advanced nail fungus, it is necessary to combine the intake of drugs inside and external agents. This enhances the effect and speeds up recovery.
Treatment with varnish
A convenient way to treat fungus at home is to use antifungal varnishes. They are applied to sore nails under a cosmetic coating. You have the ability to hide the defect and treat it at the same time.
The algorithm for using this remedy is simple, but the healing is long-lasting. The therapeutic effect on the fungus is due to the content of chemical antimycotics in the varnishes. Penetrating into the structure of the plate, and then into the tissue of the bed, the drug begins active action in a week.
The method of application is as follows:
- cut or trim the affected cornea;
- degrease the treatment site with a swab;
- apply nail polish;
- while the composition is drying, disinfect the file and spatula with a swab.
All the necessary components for the procedure are attached to the varnish; you do not have to search and buy them separately.
The best three types of varnishes for the treatment of nail fungus according to consumer reviews and recommendations of dermatologists.
- Oflomelid - is considered a broad-spectrum agent. Kills a fungal infection in the initial period and neglected. Active against dimorphic, moldy, yeast fungal spores. It is applied twice a week, applied to a cleaned plate.
- Oflomil acts from the same pathogens as the first, plus dermatophytes and actinomycetes. The cornea should be treated twice a week. The duration of the course is from six months.
- Lotseril is a universal antifungal varnish that is active against all types of pathogens. The method of application is the same with the previous ones - two applications in seven days.
In addition to these types, you can use Mycosan, Batrafen, Lamisil and others. For self-treatment, lacquer therapy is considered the most acceptable.
It is important to know! During pregnancy, lactation and hypersensitivity to the components of medicines and varnishes, they cannot be used.
Folk antifungal agents
Having the problem of onychomycosis, people first of all think about how to cure nail fungus with folk remedies quickly and safely. If the medicinal formulations are prepared according to the recipes approved by the doctor, then the safety will be guaranteed. The situation is different with the speed of recovery. To cure nail fungus with high-speed methods is problematic. A person gets sick for one contact with the pathogen. It takes months and years to get rid of the problem.
Folk remedies, as a method of therapy, are no exception in the fight against the disease. Be patient in advance and carry out the procedures regularly. This will be the key to a successful recovery. In addition, you need to know the rules for conducting manipulations. The main ones are:
- before the procedure, diseased plates must be steamed;
- then remove the loosened, thickened horny tissue;
- use disposable items or thoroughly disinfected after previous treatment;
- for softening use alkaline compounds, you can add soda in a concentration of 1 tbsp. l. for 1000 ml of water;
- the temperature regime of the baths is a solution warmed up to 40-50 degrees;
- temporary exposure mode - at least 15 minutes.
How to apply vinegar
The acidic environment prevents the spread of spores, this is the mechanism for the destruction of colonies with acetic exposure. Nail fungus cures effectively when using the correct concentration of acetic acid in ready-made solutions.
- Baths. Heat water in an amount of at least two liters to 50 degrees, add a glass of 6% vinegar to it. Place your feet or hands in the bath and keep them in the solution for 15 minutes. Then wipe your limbs dry and put on socks without synthetics. The procedure is done three times a week.
- Applications. They need to be done after washing the feet, for this the disc is soaked in 9% vinegar and laid out on the diseased cornea. A variation of the recipe is a combined composition for discs - water, glycerin and vinegar essence are mixed in equal parts. The sprinkled disc is kept on the problem plate for 15 minutes.
- Ointment based on acetic acid, glycerin, olive oil, demytyl phtolate. Used 70% acid in concentration - 2 parts plus the rest of the components - one part at a time.
Onion and garlic juice, horseradish gruel
Onion juice is easy to use, they need to treat diseased corneas. A complicated recipe is the use of gruel from onions, garlic and salt. It is applied to the problem area at night.
Garlic juice is mixed with water and alcohol in a proportion of one equal portion. A compress is applied twice a day for 15 minutes.
An effective remedy is horseradish root gruel. The finished raw material is laid out on a disk, it is bandaged to a plate overnight.
Esters in healing from onychomicosis
Oils obtained by the exhaust method from plants help get rid of the problem with the recovery of the surrounding skin and the restoration of the plate.
- Baths. In three liters of heated water, 10 drops of Ether Lavender, Ylang-Ylang, Rosemary, Tea Tree are introduced. Hands or legs are lowered in the bath and keep them in it 20 minutes, then another 15 minutes rush legs into a terry towel.
- The compress from the ethers is done using a impregnated disk. The composition for this is prepared from a spoon of water and esters, heated to 30 degrees. They are bombing for an hour, then the cornea is cut off with a compressive cut and cleaned with a saw.
- The ester of the tea tree is mixed with softening soap. This mixture is rubbed into the damaged plate twice a day.
How to cure onychomicosis fast folk remedies
To do this, use intensive recipes based on propolis. Effective are:
- 20% tincture of propolis on alcohol;
- solid propolis feeded to the sick cornea;
- Grinding propolis plus pharmacy antifungal cream;
- 15 drops of propolis tincture on the foot bath.
A decoction of 5 spoons of raw materials from the roots and leaves per one and a half liters of boiling water are made of chiurela. Cook 12 minutes, then used in the form of a bath.
A good feedback from onychomicosis has the following recipe.
The resin of the apricot tree in the amount of one spoon is poured with vodka and insist three days. Before use, I scold the composition and flashes the means of cornea twice a day. Recovery comes in a month.
Remember! The combination of medication and folk methods give the best effect. Use synergistic ways if you want to get rid of the problem in a short period of time.
Doctors consider onichomicosis with a 100% treatable disease. You require one thing - perseverance and compliance with the recommendations.
I am flying the nail fungus on my feet for five years - the disease is going through, then returns again.
War veteran with fungus
During this time I was already tried, probably all types of folk remedies, several times turned to the doctor. The article will tell you what is a nail fungus, why he arises than dangerous and how to get rid of it.
The article will have a photo - they are not the most pleasant. But warned - it means, armed, because most often the fungus can be suspected of the appearance of nails.
Go to the doctor
Our articles are written with love for evidence medicine. We refer to authoritative sources and go for comments to doctors with a good reputation. But remember: responsibility for your health lies on you and at the attending physician. We do not write down recipes, we give recommendations. Rely on our point of view or not - to solve you.
What is nail fungus
Officially, this disease is called onichomicosis - a fungal nail infection. In 60-70% Special dermatophyphyphyphyphyphyphyfit cases cause it, it is less likely to infection from mold and yeast mushrooms. To live, multiply and grow, dermatophitors need protein keratin. That is why these mushrooms live in nail plates, hair and a corn layer of the skin - where keratin is produced.
Typically, the fungus begins to develop from the bottom of the nail. The tip of the nail gradually changes the color: becomes yellowish, light brown or dairy. If there is no treatment, the infection spreads towards the cuticle. The fungus can begin with the side surface of the nail.
There is still white surface onycromics. Outwardly, it looks like white or dull stains on the surface of the nail. It spreads from the center to the edges, if the disease is not treated, it can cover the entire nail plate.
Occasionally meets proximal onychomicosis - it strikes the nail in the area of the Cuticula and the root. Usually it happens in people with weakened immunity.
When the nail due to the fungus is completely destroyed, such a state is called a common dystrophic onychomycosis. Externally, the nail looks terrible: it is thick, ribbed and unpleasant dark color.
Nail fungus is not a skin fungus
Nail fungus should not be confused with the fungus of the skin or "fungus legs", even if these requests are searched for it on the Internet.
The nail fungus doctors is called onichomicosis, this word is produced from Greek όνυχο - "Nail" and ύύκης - "Mushroom". In the overwhelming majority of cases, it affects the nails on the legs. The fungi on the skin is called dermatomycosis - they settle not only in the footsteps, but also on other parts of the body.
These diseases are caused by similar pathogens, but they have different symptoms and a different treatment. In this article we will talk about the fungus nails.
Causes of occurrence
Nail fungus is a very common disease. On onychomicosis has to 50-60% In general, all problems with nails. I do not know where my fungus himself came from, but what ways they bring doctors to get infected.
Contact with an infected surface. The pathogens fungus are very fond of dampness, and therefore live in wet rooms - baths or pools. Sometimes fungus as a bonus bring from beauty salons after a manicure or pedicure: just one micropores and poorly processed tools - and everything, the disease here is like here. Another fungus can get if you put shoes after a sick person on a boss.
Insepass infection. The fungus is very contagious. If sick somebody From households, the remaining family members can be infected with onycromics. Risks are rising if you use alone slippers on all, shared washcloth or bath rug. However, the fungus can be transmitted even through carpets, which is why a person with sick nails is so important to comply with the rules of hygiene.
Bad hygiene. If a person washes his legs badly, it does not cut into the nails in time, rarely changes the socks, it will be easier to pick up the fungus.
Close shoes. This is another factor that increases the risk of the disease. When we wear close shoes, in the foot and roots of nails, blood supply is broken. Onlystrophia can develop - a condition, an externally similar to the nail fungus and is often concomitant to him.
Certain professions. The nail fungus is much more common in people of some professions - housekeepers, cooks, cleaners, car workers. They are often in contact with wet surfaces, wearing rubber shoes and rubber gloves, use chemicals, softening the nail plate. And the fungus all loves it very much and is actively growing in such conditions.
Accompanying illnesses Enhance the risk of infection, because weaken immunity. In people who suffer from varicose varicose, diabetes, inflammatory diseases of the intestine or from malignant neoplasms, fungus is more common. Back in the risk group smokers and people with obesity. Increased sweating - hyperhydrosis - also contributes to the reproduction of mushrooms.
Typically, the fungus occurs in people 30 and older, especially the elderly. Children get sick less often and respond better to local treatment: they have a thinner nail plate, and the nail itself grows faster. It turns out that with a shorter exposure to the drug, the effect in children comes faster.
Is it possible to get a fungus in the pool
Toenail fungus is really easy to get in humid rooms and places where there are a lot of people. This is due to the fact that the nail plates quickly soften, plus in such an environment the fungi themselves actively multiply.
To protect yourself, you must definitely wear shoes, thoroughly wash your feet and disinfect them - there are often baths or taps with special solutions before entering the pool hall. It is important to use only your own towels and never wear someone else's shoes.
Why the fungus is dangerous
Fungus of nails does not just spoil the appearance of the feet, it is a real disease that is dangerous to the body. If left untreated, the fungus on one nail will spread to the rest of the nails that are still healthy. In some people, a fungal infection can cause allergies - the fungus itself becomes the allergen.
Dermatophyte fungi feed on keratin, so there is not enough of it for nail growth. because of this they become brittle, crumble and exfoliate. Over time, "keratin debris" will begin to accumulate between the nail and the nail bed - it is formed when keratin breaks down due to exposure to fungi. From this, the nail becomes thicker and grows crookedly. Despite the fact that the nail is thick, it is still very fragile - it will catch on clothes and easily break.
Sometimes, with nail fungus, the feet begin to sweat more than usual - this leads to an unpleasant odor, so you have to change socks several times a day.
If the infected nail is left untreated for a long time, it will begin to separate from the nail bed. At first , it just hurts. Secondly , in place of the removed nail, a semblance of a wound will appear, a moist warm environment will appear - just the kind that dermatophytes love. In it, they will grow even faster.
And neglected nail fungus is expensive to treat. Most likely, the person will have to buy medications and change all shoes after treatment is complete. If at the initial stages of onychomycosis it can be disinfected with the help of special disinfecting solutions, then after recovering from a neglected disease, all old shoes will have to be thrown away so as not to become infected again.
The fungus significantly reduces the quality of life. I was physically uncomfortable: my legs were sweating, my nails were thick, crumbled and broke. Even in summer, I had to walk in closed shoes so as not to frighten others. In addition, the fungus severely limited activity: I could not really play sports and go to the pool. I read that some people have such a feeling of shame, which sometimes even rolls into severe depression. Fortunately, I didn't get to that.
How to be healthy and rich
We will tell you how to choose a good doctor and not pay for unnecessary tests. Twice a week - in your mail along with other articles about money. Subscribe, it's free
What are the symptoms of nail fungus
This is what happens to your nails and feet when you catch a fungus.
The color of the nails changes yellowish, whitish or brownish spots appear. This is more typical for the initial stage of infection and is associated with the accumulation of keratin debris in the nails and under them. Nails look dull and don't shine like they used to.
The structure is changing: the nail becomes thick or begins to grow in waves. When cutting, the cut is uneven, the nail crumbles into separate pieces.
An unpleasant smell appears, feet sweat more.
I suspected the fungus late. On the middle toe of the left foot, the nail became very thick and grew upward, standing out from the rest. I put off going to the doctor for a long time and did not engage in treatment, so the infection spread to other nails - they turned yellow.
Is it possible to paint nails with nail fungus
I would not recommend using decorative varnishes: they at least complicate the diagnosis, and the varnish must be removed before treatment. In addition, with a fungus, the nail is already affected, it is thin and loose - aggressive coatings only aggravate this condition.
The only way to reduce the aesthetic manifestation of the fungus is to grind the nail so that its color and relief do not stand out too much. You can also use antifungal medicinal varnishes: they help to hide the external manifestation of the infection a little.
How I treated the fungus on my own
When I suspected a fungus, I thought it was nonsense. For about a year I did nothing at all, hoping that he would pass by himself. Then I decided that I should try to get rid of him, but I still did not understand the complexity of the situation. I decided that it would be enough to simply anoint my nails with the magic polishes and drops that are advertised on TV, and everything will pass.
First I bought "Exoderil" - this solution had to be applied to the nails twice a day. The bottle cost me 1300 Р... For the first two weeks, I honestly followed all the instructions in the instructions: I washed my feet, cleaned my nails over the entire surface with a file, smeared them in the morning before work and in the evening before going to bed. Then he began to be lazy, because each procedure took at least 10 minutes. I thought: "Ay, I won't anoint one time, nothing will happen."
Then I bought Lotseril for 1400 Р... This varnish should be applied only once or twice a week, before that, too, cleaning the nails. Now the procedure took 10-20 minutes a week, but another problem arose: I just started to forget to smear my nails.
When I realized that drops and varnishes do not help, I began to make foot baths. They wrote on the Internet that this is a miracle procedure that will get rid of the fungus right for good. I don't like going to doctors, so I believed these tips.
I soaked my feet in solutions of soda and liquid soap, dripped iodine into the water, and even made coffee baths several times. Then I found out that it is better to replace liquid soap with brown laundry soap - when I rubbed it on a grater, the aroma in the apartment was indescribable. He cut and scraped his steamed nails, and then poured the nippers and the file with vodka in a bowl. He collected the fragments of nails on a paper napkin and threw them into the trash can. I also smeared my nails with aloe juice and propolis. These procedures took even longer, so in the end I just gave up on treatment.
As I later realized, self-medication was my big mistake, because it took more than a year. But it did not bring any result: the fungus, it seems, only began to spread. The reason for this was my laziness and lack of understanding of the situation.
How the doctor diagnosed me
The infected nails continued to grow and get fat. I felt discomfort when I put on socks and any shoes, it even got in the way when walking.
And then my wife and I booked a ticket to Turkey. And this became another reason why I went to the doctor - it became simply embarrassing to show to someone your legs.
I signed up for a dermatovenerologic dispensary to see a mycologist. Already by the appearance of the nails, she said that it was very similar to a fungus, but she still sent me for tests.
I was asked to cut off the infected nail and submit it for examination, and they also prescribed a general blood test. As the doctor explained, if the fungus is confirmed, in my case it will definitely not be possible to do without pills. And some of them have contraindications that can be identified through blood counts.
The doctor's appointment and all tests were free - the treatment of nail fungus is included in the compulsory medical insurance program.
How I treated nail fungus under medical supervision
For the treatment of fungal infection, three groups of drugs are used: based on terbinafine, fluconazole and itraconazole. All these drugs destroy the cells of the fungus, which ultimately leads to a decrease in their number and the death of the pathogen. These drugs are officially called antimycotics. Like antibiotics, they must be taken strictly on a course. It means that it will not be enough to drink one pill and wait for the symptoms to disappear - it is important to complete the course of treatment.
The specific type of medicine is prescribed by the doctor depending on the type of fungi, the degree of nail damage, the patient's well-being, possible contraindications and other factors.
Often, in addition to tablets, external treatment is also prescribed in the form of creams, ointments, sprays - this helps to speed up the process. Still, such drugs can help patients who, for various reasons, cannot take systemic antimycotics.
Sometimes they prescribe photodynamic therapy - when the nail is covered with special substances, and then they act on it with a cold light beam and block the spread of infection. They can offer laser treatment - it is believed that a laser beam penetrates all layers of the nail and burns out the mycelium of the fungus. Here are just the proofs that the laser actually works, scientists have little.
In the most advanced cases, the nail is completely removed by surgery.
The doctor prescribed Orungamin tablets for me - 2 pieces 2 times a day for a week. To reduce the harmful effect on the liver, they said to drink "Carsil" - 2 tablets 2 times a day for a month. I honestly drank it, but I'm not sure whether benefit. The main component of Karsil is the fruit of milk thistle, and in modern medicine there is no exact information about its benefits for the liver. I spent about 2500 on them Р.
I endured the course of treatment well, only two weeks was severe drowsiness - then I went to work for two hours one way, and all this time I slept on the train. There were no problems with digestion.
The nail itself had to be scraped off by hand. To begin with, I was offered to do baths with laundry soap and soda and then apply the Mycostop paste on the nail. With a small spatula, I spread it on a quarter of a cotton pad, put it on a nail, wrapped it with bandages and a plaster, and walked like that for a day. During this time, the upper hard layer of the nail softened slightly, after which I scraped it off. Then he immediately applied the composition again, there were at least five such approaches for the entire treatment period. The paste helped, the nail became noticeably thinner. It became easier to cut it.
Three weeks later, the doctor prescribed a second appointment. Then she prescribed Ekodax cream - it has a local effect and, like tablets, destroys fungal cells. The cream should be smeared on nails twice a day, and this time I was no longer lazy.
What's with the nails now?
With the cured nails, I went for a year and a half. In July 2020, he again began to notice white spots on them. This time I went to the doctor immediately and found out: there was a re-infection. Now it is still an initial stage, so local remedies can help - those same varnishes, drops and creams.
Reinfection should not be confused with a relapse of the disease. Re-infection occurs when you received an infection from the external environment, that is, in fact, it does not differ from the initial infection. When it comes to relapse, the most common cause is incomplete treatment. Then the focus of infection remains in the nails: outwardly it may be invisible, but over time, growth will certainly appear.
And it also happens that the wrong diagnosis is made at the very beginning. For example, my doctor told me that in medical practice there were situations when nail fungus was confused with nail psoriasis. Both of these diseases are very similar in external symptoms in the initial stages.
What causes the recurrence of nail fungus
Relapse occurs due to the fact that the fungus remains in the nail plate. There are cases when a person does not want to take medicine and simply grinds off the nail: the outward manifestations are no longer visible, but the infection remains inside, and the infected nail then grows back.
Sometimes the severity of the disease is incorrectly assessed and the wrong therapy is selected. For example, only local treatment is used, although it is not enough.
It happens that the treatment is chosen correctly and the patient agrees to it. Only now, either the duration of the course was calculated incorrectly, or the patient for some reasons to stop taking pills.
When there are risk factors - diabetes mellitus, venous insufficiency of the lower extremities, professional or sports activities - the chance of relapse is higher. Then the environment for the development of the fungus is better, and in patients with a violation of the vascular wall, blood microcirculation is impaired, so the infection returns faster.
Relapse from re-infection can sometimes be distinguished externally. Re-infection most often begins from the top of the nail - at the cut line. Relapse is more likely to come from the bottom up - from the root of the nail.
How to prevent nail fungus
Prevention of fungus is directly related to the causes of its occurrence. Take the reason, reverse the meaning, and get recommendations for prevention.
Always wear shoes in public places, especially in those where it is humid - gyms, showers, saunas, near pools.
Don't wear someone else's shoes. Even open-toed rubber slippers can be dangerous in terms of fungal infection. It is better to disinfect common shoes, for example on a skating rink or in a bowling alley, with special solutions. When buying shoes, try on them only on a toe or underfoot.
Don't wear tight shoes. No beauty is worth the health of skin and nails.
Keep your feet dry. If your feet get wet, try to wash them, dry them, and put on clean socks as soon as possible. The shoes themselves must be dried.
Keep your feet hygienic. Pouring water over them with a daily shower is not enough. It is advisable to have a separate washcloth for your feet and wash them with soap and water - and it is precisely to rinse thoroughly in all areas, and not just to run once on the heels and feet.
Trim your nails carefully. Try to avoid injuries and micro-cuts - they will be the gateway for any infections in general, and not just for fungi. Use only your scissors and do not pass them on to anyone in the family.
If you are doing manicure and pedicure, sterilize the instruments - this is also important in terms of other infections. For example, I sprayed my files and scissors with alcohol spray. He told his wife to watch in the manicure room, does sterilize Master tools - this is usually done with hot steam.
How to protect your home with nail fungus
If household members are ordinary healthy people without any risk factors, you can only limit yourself to more frequent house cleaning and stricter personal hygiene. First of all, it is important to use personal towels, to wear indoor closed shoes and not to pass them on to anyone, not to share your socks with anyone. Of course, you don't need to wash the floors with bleach.
Bed linen and socks can not be thrown away during treatment, but simply washed at high temperatures and then ironed with steam.
But shoes are better to replace. Of course, if it is very valuable, at your own peril and risk, you can try to treat the boots with ultraviolet light. Everything is individual here - if only one nail was infected and the treatment was successful, disinfection can help. But the risks always remain: removing the fungus from the fabric and folds inside the shoes is problematic.
How much does nail fungus treatment cost?
To cure nail fungus, you need to see a dermatologist - if he specializes in fungal diseases, he is called a mycologist. Such a doctor will be able to diagnose, assess the severity of the infection and choose a treatment. Taking pills on your own may not work and even be dangerous.
You can contact a dermatologist on the basis of the compulsory medical insurance policy: for this you need to make an appointment at a regular clinic or a dermatovenerologic dispensary. Consultation, examination and diagnostics will be free of charge.
If you are treated in private medical centers, you will have to pay for everything. For example, the initial appointment with a dermatologist in Moscow costs from 1000 Р... The cost of examining nails for mushrooms depends on the analysis method. For examination under a microscope, the patient will pay 530 Р, and for microscopy together with inoculation - 1550 Р.
I spent 21,749 on treating the fungus Р
New shoes - sneakers for the summer, winter boots, slippers
~ 15,000 Р
"Orungamin", packing 42 capsules
Files, sticks, nail clippers
~ 800 Р
"Carsil", packing of 180 dragees
"Mikostop", shoe disinfection spray
"Mikostop", paste for nail removal
Soda and laundry soap
one hundred Р
Three appointments of a mycologist at KVD
- Nail fungus, or onychomycosis, is an infectious disease that can easily be contracted in public showers, swimming pools, gyms, shoe stores, and nail salons.
- The sooner you start treating nail fungus, the better and faster the result will be. Perhaps it will be possible to do only with local remedies and not take pills.
- Only a doctor can choose the right treatment. Self-prescribing pills based on reviews and recommendations from the Internet is a dubious tactic.
- It is important to complete the treatment, as if nor was it laziness.
- To prevent nail fungus, it is important to maintain foot hygiene and not wear someone else's shoes on bare feet.
Treating nail fungus at home
Nail fungus, or onychomycosis, is a fairly common problem, affecting about 10% of the population of Western countries. [one] ... Especially often this disease is diagnosed in the elderly: according to statistics, about 50% of people over 70 know what onychomycosis is firsthand  ... In the article, we will consider why this problem is dangerous, and we will figure out how you can cure nail fungus at home.
Is it possible and necessary to treat the fungus at home
Fungal diseases (mycoses), many recklessly consider only a cosmetic flaw that can be left without special attention. However, this is a serious condition that requires treatment. The causative agents of mycoses destroy the proteins that make up the skin, nails and hair, for the sake of their food and reproduction. Because of this, peeling and itching appear on the skin, furrows and crevices under the nails, in which whole colonies of fungi settle. Over time, they "conquer" an ever larger area of the skin, moving to healthy areas.
For your information There are about fifty pathogens of fungal infection. They can be divided into three main groups: molds and yeasts, and dermatophytes. Representatives of the latter, by the way, are the culprits of the disease in 80-90% of cases.  .
If left untreated, fungal infections of nails and skin can lead to really serious health problems. At the very least, onychomycosis affects the quality of human life. After all, he is forced to constantly take care of hiding his problem from others. The infection significantly worsens the appearance of the nail - up to its complete destruction. Of course, this leads to discomfort, including psychological. In addition, ignoring this disease can also complicate the course of chronic diseases, for example: psoriasis, eczema, bronchial asthma, dermatitis and other pathologies.
Of course, it is impossible not to emphasize that, if you do not take any measures to eliminate the problem, it is quite easy to transmit the fungus to others. A carrier of the infection can infect people living with him, even if they all take precautions. The fact is that the fungus (or rather, its spores) is very viable and can remain on various surfaces for almost months and remain in a state of "combat readiness".
The conclusion suggests itself: it is impossible to leave onychomycosis without therapy. In addition, you can treat nail fungus at home. However, home does not mean home remedies. The preference should be given to certified medicinal products. Of course, on the Internet you can find a huge number of homemade recipes for the treatment of nail fungus. So, many talk about the "miraculous" properties of soda, propolis or even alcohol - funds based on them are supposedly able to get rid of such a problem as onychomycosis, without unnecessary effort on the part of the sick person. Meanwhile, the effectiveness of such methods has not been proven: at best, their use will not affect the course of the disease, and at worst, it will significantly aggravate the situation. Only a doctor can choose a remedy that can really fight an infection. And, of course, as a "weapon" against the fungus, the doctor will choose a drug that has passed all the necessary clinical studies, and not a grandmother's drug.
How can fungus be treated at home
It used to be thought that the only way to cure the fungus was to surgically remove the affected nail. Today, there are more than a hundred drugs on the domestic market for the treatment of fungal infections. In such a variety of tools, it is quite difficult to navigate on your own. However, as noted above, this is not necessary, since the doctor will tell you how to cure nail fungus at home. Of course, the doctor will select a therapeutic strategy taking into account all the factors that matter: the type of pathogen, the degree of the disease, the individual characteristics of the patient's body. In this case, the goals of treatment are several at once - to eliminate itching and burning, eradicate the pathogen and prevent relapse. It is worth noting that it is quite difficult to eliminate an advanced fungal infection, and if you turn to a specialist too late, surgery may indeed be required. To quickly cure nail fungus at home, you should visit a dermatologist at the first symptoms.
Treatment of nail fungus at home most often involves the use of external agents: creams, varnishes and solutions. In severe cases, the doctor may prescribe system-wide pills.
Let's take a closer look at how to treat nail fungus at home.
Medicated nail polishes. This is one of the fairly popular home remedies for toenail and toenail fungus. However, these funds give a very weak effect and rather hide the disease (reducing the severity of symptoms), rather than cure it. Varnishes do not penetrate deep into the nail, that is, they do not reach the foci of infection - fungal canals. Therefore, such medicines are used only with the lightest superficial forms of the fungus. It is believed that varnishes do a good job of preventing relapses of onychomycosis, therefore they are most often used as a means of preventing the disease. [four] .
Creams. Means of such a dosage form are used at various stages of mycoses, moreover, they are quite easy and convenient to apply. But there is one caveat: if the fungus has penetrated deep into the subungual plate, the drug may simply not reach the source of infection in the required amount. Therefore, as a rule, such drugs are used to treat skin mycoses or as an adjuvant in onychomycosis. Antifungal creams not only fight pathogens, but also moisturize and soften the skin, and given the serious stress that it inevitably experiences with onychomycosis, these properties of creams can hardly be called irrelevant.
Solutions. To cure nail fungus at home quickly (as far as possible), doctors recommend the use of liquid dosage forms: it has been scientifically proven that a solution is optimal for destroying the pathogen in the thickness of the nail plate [five] ... It is able to penetrate directly under the nail plate, entering the fungal canals. Thus, the solution works in the very focus of infection. Antifungal solutions can slow down the growth and development of fungi, disrupt the structure of their cells, thereby leading to the death of pathogens, and also have an anti-inflammatory effect in general. A more specific set of properties depends on the composition of a particular drug.
For your information Prepare skin and nails before applying any topical product. The skin surface is pre-cleaned, dried and, if possible, the affected part of the nail is removed with scissors or a file. So the drug will better penetrate the skin or under the nail plate.
Pills .Oral drugs are prescribed when local therapy no longer helps, that is, in the most advanced cases. As a rule, these drugs can only be bought with a doctor's prescription, as they have serious side effects. However, the need to take pills will not arise if you do not start the disease to a critical state.
Getting rid of such an unpleasant problem as onychomycosis is much more difficult than it might seem. Self-"prescribing" drugs will not lead to anything good. After all, it is necessary to select a remedy for a fungal infection, taking into account the type of pathogen, the severity of the disease, as well as concomitant pathologies. Only a doctor can give an objective assessment of all the listed factors and determine the optimal method of therapy.
*** The material is not a public offer. Pricing information is provided for reference and is current for January 2021.
All information related to health and medicine is presented for informational purposes only and is not a reason for self-diagnosis or self-medication.
Fungus: how to treat and not go broke
Nail fungus (onychomycosis) is an infection of the nail plate. The most common cause of infection is dermatophyte fungi. The fungus appears on the toenails in the form of deformation, thickening, foliation, discoloration or atrophy of nail fragments. At the same time, itching, redness may appear at the site of localization of the focus. The smell of the feet becomes harsh and unpleasant. In addition to a cosmetic defect, a disease brought to a chronic form can cause:
Itching discomfort. Also, with a significant thickening of the nail, pain may appear when wearing shoes, and calluses may form.
Irritation, inflammation of the skin areas adjacent to the affected area. This is especially dangerous for people with weakened immunity and reduced healing. For example, with diabetes mellitus or peripheral circulatory disorders.
Family members can easily get the fungus even if they do not come into direct contact with the carrier. Spores can remain active for a long time on the floor, in the bathroom, on bedding and other surfaces.
A neglected nail fungus can cause dermatological complications - eczema, psoriasis, allergic dermatitis. There is also the likelihood of developing allergic rhinitis, bronchial asthma, fungal growth into internal organs.
Therefore, it is better to treat nail fungus at the first symptoms - in this case, coping with the pathology will be faster, easier and cheaper. Plus, this is the most effective way to protect yourself from relapses, and your loved ones from infection.
Important! Before treating nail fungus, you need to undergo a diagnosis. First, foliation, thickening and fragility of the nail plates can be associated with other health problems. Secondly, depending on the pathogen, the correct treatment is selected.
Consider how to treat toenail fungus so that the process takes as little time as possible, the treatment is successful, and the budget is affected minimally. Immediately, we note that it will not be possible to get rid of the disease at once:
if therapy is started at the first manifestations, the course will take from 3 to 6 months;
if the lesion has spread into the deep layers of the dermis, then it will be possible to cure the nails in 1-1.5 years.
Where to begin
If there is a suspicion of a fungus on the toenail, the first step is to do a scraping and culture in a dermatological laboratory. This is a simple procedure, it is carried out within the framework of the compulsory medical insurance, the answer will be provided quickly. In addition, a specialist can immediately visually examine the nail with a special lamp that highlights the areas of fungal infection.
In parallel with the diagnosis, it is necessary to protect the people living nearby. It is necessary to exclude the exchange of shoes, have a separate foot towel, treat the bath after washing with a disinfectant containing chlorine.
Shoes should dry well, it is advisable to treat them with antifungal sprays or napkins at least once every 2 weeks. This will help avoid reinfection. In addition to special products for shoes, you can use chlorhexidine, vinegar at a concentration of 40%, ethyl alcohol at a concentration of 95%, ammonia, shoe dryers with an ultraviolet lamp. You can also process shoes for all family members.
The areas of irritation on the nail can be lubricated with iodine, apple cider vinegar, chlorhexidine.
After determining the exact diagnosis, the doctor issues a recommendation on how to get rid of the nail fungus, taking into account the isolation of the culture of the causative agent of the disease. The means and the order of application are selected. A local drug must be prescribed. In addition, oral antifungal medications may be recommended. It is also desirable to supplement the therapy with immuno-strengthening complexes.
Toenail fungus: what is the best treatment?
Once upon a time, in the treatment of onychomycosis, a surgical method was used - the nail plate was removed. But it is impossible to quickly get rid of the fungus with such a radical method - there remained infected areas of the skin, which provoked repeated damage. Now the surgical technique is not used. Treatment is based on the treatment of foci of infection and adjacent areas and taking medications.
For topical use, ointments, suspensions, gels, drops are used.
Ointments and suspensions. Often on a greasy basis, applied evenly, rubbing in until completely absorbed. They are consumed quite quickly.
Gels. They are more convenient to use with respect to ointments, do not leave greasy marks in shoes, and are well distributed. An excellent solution for skin treatment.
Drops are the most economical and effective form for nail polish. The liquid is convenient to dispense, it is quickly absorbed, penetrates deep into the tissues. This is especially important when delamination of the nail plate - drops allow you to act on microorganisms inside the affected area. At the same time, the expense of funds is minimal.
An important characteristic of all funds is the active substance.
The leaders in terms of effectiveness and availability are drugs based on naftifine. This substance was synthesized in 1974, but has not lost its position and demand, despite the emergence of new antifungal compounds 1... Naftifine allows you to properly treat nail fungus: it destroys the cell walls of the pathogen, prevents reproduction, helps to avoid inflammation in the event of wounds on the skin. Besides:
The substance does not cause addiction and resistance in microorganisms, therefore, the effectiveness of therapy does not decrease with prolonged courses and with repeated administration.
It is on the basis of naftifine that the Evalar company has developed and produces the drug Mizol. Mizol Evalar treats:
fungal infections of the nails;
fungal infections of the skin and skin folds;
candidiasis of the skin;
multicolored (pityriasis) versicolor;
dermatomycosis (with or without accompanying itching).
Important! Depending on the manufacturer, the cost of funds can differ several times at the same concentration of the active substance.For clarity, we present a comparison table with one of the most popular imported counterparts. According to customer reviews on the Internet, a 10 ml bottle is enough for 2 weeks, a 20 ml bottle for 4 weeks.
|Name||Price per package 2(rub.)||Price per course (6 months)|
|Import 10 ml||534||6942|
|Import 20 ml||979||5874|
|Mizol Evalar 10 ml||333||4329|
|Mizol Evalar 20 ml||516||3096|
The table shows that Mizol Evalar in a large package is more economical by almost 3000 rubles per course of treatment. Today Mizol Evalar is the most beneficial medicine for treating fungus 3.
Also, the drug is available in the form of a skin gel. The composition is enriched with tea tree oil, which improves the condition of the epidermis and relieves inflammation.
Antifungal drugs are prescribed orally for advanced forms of the disease. They put a serious strain on the liver and kidneys, so the doctor prescribes how to properly treat toenail fungus with their use.
Active urinary tract supplements and hepatoprotective formulations can be taken to minimize side effects and eliminate toxins.
A complex approach
Additional funds will help speed up recovery, reduce the duration of therapy and avoid repeated expensive treatments. Here are some tips on how to regain and maintain health in affordable ways:
Legs must be kept dry, after a bath, wipe thoroughly between the toes, do not immediately put on socks. Let the skin dry completely.
For hygiene, use tar soap - an inexpensive cosmetic product helps to fight microorganisms, including effectively against fungi.
The activity of the fungus is reduced in hot water. Before applying the topical preparation, you can do baths with the addition of salt at a concentration of 2 tablespoons per 1 liter of water. The duration of the procedure is 15 minutes. For a noticeable effect, it is carried out at least once every 2 days. You can also add 5-10 drops of tea tree oil to the water. Natural antiseptic helps to relieve inflammation, restore the skin.
The regrown part of the nail should be removed immediately. The less affected tissue remains, the lower the likelihood of reinfection.
Vitamins can be taken to strengthen nails and improve skin condition.
Ancillary care is not a substitute for primary care, so drugs cannot be discontinued.
We encounter fungi every day, but not all of them develop skin and nail lesions. One of the causes of the disease is a weakened immune system. You need to help your body restore its protective functions.
Effective complex Evalar "Zinc + Vitamin C"
has a double effect - it has a beneficial effect on the immune system and prevents skin diseases.
How to save money on treatment: highlights
Start treatment as early as possible. At the first stages, it is possible to get rid of onychomycosis in 6 months; it will take 18 months or more to fight the neglected form. At the same time, the costs will increase at least threefold, and most importantly, the likelihood of complications will increase.
When choosing a drug, use the rule of the active ingredient - the same active ingredient is equally effective regardless of the manufacturer.
Choose an economical form of the drug - solutions can be accurately dosed without allowing more consumption than necessary.
Choose a large package - for example, Mizol Evalar is available in 10 and 20 ml bottles. In a large package, the same dose is cheaper, and this alone can save at least 1,000 rubles per course of treatment.
Treat comprehensively - strengthen the immune system, skin and nails. This will help speed up your recovery.
Avoid contamination of family members - follow the rules of hygiene, protect your health and family budget.
Find out how you can treat fungus with Mizol Evalar. Save time and money, stay healthy with Evalar!
Find a pharmacy in your city --- 1* The price is subject to change and is not an offer 2Matushevskaya E.V., Svirshchevskaya E.V. Naftifine in the treatment of fungal skin infections: 40 years of success. Bulletin of Dermatology and Venereology 2014 (2): 72-77 3According to the Apteka.ru service for 10/04/2019. An analogue for comparison is selected according to the active substance, the form of release and the volume of the package.